Initial Subwoofer level for MCACC

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Rich Allen, May 21, 2006.

1. Rich Allen

Rich Allen Second Unit

Rich Allen
    I should be getting my Pioneer Elite 72 in soon. I downloaded the manual and was reading over about the MCACC setup. A question came to mind however that wasn't answered there: When you set things up initially, where do you start out with the volume control on the subwoofer? At maximum or somewhere in the middle? I also gather that the volume control on the receiver doesn't matter?

Thanks for any ideas.

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    It really depends on your room and the sub. Rule of thum is to put it at about %50 gain and see what that calibrates out to. If it is really high or really low in the receiver after MCACC, adjust the sub's gain so it is more inline with the other speakers without having to be to one extreme or the other in the receiver or on the sub (find a comfortable middle ground).

3. Rich Allen

Rich Allen Second Unit

Rich Allen
    Thanks for the info. Thats kind of what i was thinking, put it in the middle and let it go. Then tweak it a little bit if needed.

4. HarpSingh

HarpSingh Agent

A low setting on the sub generally ensures that the sub turns itself on more reliably if you keep it on the auto setting. I keep my sub at a setting that generally requires a +4 setting in MCACC level settings and that ensures that the sub turns itself on even if I'm listening to something at a low volume.