What's new

Initial feedback on Toshiba 4700 DVD player (1 Viewer)

PaulKH

Second Unit
Well I was at Best Buy, torn between getting a JVC XV-SA75GD (they only have the gold, not the black 70 model) and the Toshiba 4700. My main motivations for getting a new DVD player (to swap out my old Toshiba 2109) are to get better, progressive video, and so I can use the 2109 in my basement for exercise DVDs.
So I got the Toshiba 4700 today simply because it's black and I didn't really want a gold unit with all my other black equipment.
Got it home, connected it up (coax digital, component to TV, switch on the back to progressive output default). Turned it on - nice picture built into the player is displayed.
Setup - trivial (maybe more trivial because I'm used to my old Toshiba). Hit 'setup' on the remote, selected a 16:9 TV and told it to show 4:3 material in 4:3 with black pillars.
Next, I stuck in DVD of 2001 - the new anamorphic version. First thing I notice is the menu is shown 4:3 automatically with black pillars either side. Cool. BUT, when I go into scene selection, the 'cursor' is not positioned correctly over the scene selection. Maybe the DVD player is not adjusting for its reformatting? Seems like a bug.
There's a scene, after Floyd Haywood uses the (ahem) zero G bathroom where a huge shot of the moon is shown crawling slowly up the screen. On my old Toshiba, this looked like crap because as good as the Pioneer Elite is at deinterlacing, it couldn't cope with this image in any of its modes and it just ended up looking 'chunky' with doubled up bits of the image as it crawled up. (As an aside, the Panasonic RP56 had made this image PERFECTLY CRISP, but I returned it for other reasons, like it didn't allow switching of interlaced/progressive from the remote, nor could it do any scaling of any image to fix aspect ratio issues.) The 4700 showed the picture PERFECTLY in progressive mode also, and the same (chunky) as my old Toshiba when in interlaced mode (selectable from the remote, conveniently).
The color and contrast seem excellent also.
THEN we got to a bit in the movie where the spaceship is descending onto the moon and the interior is shown which (for those not familiar with it) is shot in an eerie red light. Ba-da-bing - chroma bug shows up. For those who haven't seen or noticed it, it's when you have a pretty saturated red picture and the scan lines look blurry and spread apart.
So I stick in Toy Story 2 and went to the obligatory chroma bug scenes - the big Toy Story 2 logo in the credits, and then the Zurg control room scene. Neither looked anywhere near as bad as my old Toshiba 2109, but noticeable nevertheless. Can I live with this? Probably.
So to net it out so far:
- Very nice setup and menu operation.
- Excellent progressive picture - MUCH better color/contrast balance than the Panasonic RP56 in my opinion
- Does have the chroma bug but not as bad as my older Toshiba
- Doesn't have the flicker problem like the RP56.

Andy L

Stunt Coordinator
I've seen several reports from people who tried to play MP3s on this player. They reported that the playback was somewhat garbled and of very low quality, even relative to the usual low MP3 quality. Do you have any MP3s that you could test?

Brian Treinen

Stunt Coordinator
Paul,

Good writeup! I found my results to be basically the same as yours. For the Chroma bug, I've got to look for it, but otherwise - it's absolutely stunning!

I have only played DVDs and only one CD on it, never MP3s or CDR/CDRW.

Alan_Horner

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, the Toshiba 4700 plays CD-R discs. I've had no problems playing the ones I've burned, but that's not too many.

The 4700 is apparently very touchy when it comes to MP3 files. For best results, the manual supplement says that you should use discs formatted for 74 minutes (not the new 80-minute discs) and that you must follow a specific format for naming each MP3 file.

I love the player, but it's got some quirks that bug the hell out of me (like having to switch the audio output via the setup menu when I want to switch from DVD-Video to DVD-A discs). Toshiba has eliminated the remote design that had two functions assigned to the same button (namely, skip and fast forward), but the play and stop buttons on the new remote are positioned in such a way that I'm constantly pressing the wrong one.

Brian O

Second Unit
Over at Costco, they have the Toshiba SD-K700 going for $190. Is this the same player as the 4700, but just rebadged or are there some differences? It looks to be very similiar.

Page

Stunt Coordinator
The SD-K700 is the identical twin of the Toshiba 3750. The 4700 adds a better remote, DVD-A ablitiy, and a DD decoder.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks