What's new

Inifinity RS3 speaker help (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Just in line with the Def Tech speaker help: I have an Infinity RS3 that screeches when I play test tones through it. Does anyone what tweeter is used in the RS3? I'm not even sure I know how to replace it since it seems integrated into the molded front baffle.
------------------
PatCave ; HT Pix ; Gear ; Sunosub I + III ; DVDs ; Link Removed

AndrewJ

Auditioning
Patrick, the tweeter used in the Infinity RS3 is a custom design, designed by Infinity and originally sourced from Asia but in later models redesigned and sourced from Audax. It can be removed by unscrewing the baffle and carefully pulling the baffle away from the cabinet (it is partly held in place by double sided adhesive "anti-rattle" pads).The tweeter then can be unscrewed from the rear of the baffle. You should be able to tell from the label on the back of the tweeter as to who made it. If you contact customer service and tell them the serial # of the speaker they should be able to provide a replacement. Their phone # is 1-800-553-3332. Let me know if you need further help

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Well, Andrew, the problem is the woofer. I deconnected the tweeter leads, and when I sent warble tones over 200Hz to the woofer, it caused something to rattle/screetch with the woofer. The only way the woofer doesn't rattle is to put the speaker face up towards the ceiling, otherwise it'll rattle in all other orientations.
The main problem is that the woofer is hotglued to the inner baffle! I attempted to pry it free, but I thought I'd do more damage, so I stopped and just put everything back to the way it was. I guess I'm hosed because the person who sold the speakers to me can't find the original sales receipt.
frown.gif

Any other ideas I should explore?
------------------

AndrewJ

Auditioning
Hi Patrick, the woofer is not actually glued to the cabinet. We sued a semi-liqiud gasket that gets squished in place when the woofer is screwed to the cabinet. If you are careful, by using a flat blade screwdriver, gently prise up the woofer frame at a number of positions around the perimeter and you should find that the frame will start to release from the cabinet. You should be still able to get a replacement woofer from Infinity service stock. If you continue to have problems let me know and I'll see what I can do to help. You can e-mail me directly if you need, at [email protected]

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Andrew, thanks for your help and advice.
I'll redouble my efforts to pry off the woofer. I'll give that 1-800 number a call and hope that the woofer replacement doesn't cost an arm and a leg.
------------------

Tony Woods

Grip
I called for a replacement woofer on a set of RS-4's. I think they use the same woofer. If I remember correctly, I was quoted aroun $37. The sad thing was my grills were cracked so I check on those too and they were more expensive each than the woofers!
Tony

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks