Inherited a Sony PFM42V1. Connections?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by RamonNYC, Jul 16, 2006.

1. RamonNYC

RamonNYC Auditioning

Well, I thought I knew enough about the basics of Home Theater connections and cables, until this 42 in. plasma unit was given to us.

Anyway, I have basic cable and a Pioneer DV626D DVD player. Currently, our basic cable feed is connected to all TV's in the house. The DVD player is currently connected via component cables to my 32 in Sony Trinitron Wega Flat screen.

I bought a RF-to-BNC connector at Radio Shack and connected the basic cable coax to the Composite IN input of the plasma display and didn't get anything. I tried an S-Type connection between the DVD player and the display (using the Y/C In input) and nothing happened.

Please pardon what may be an inane question to some, but what is the best way to feed my basic cable and my DVD player to the plasma display?

Do I need to buy a TV Tuner Box?

Thanks in advance for any suggestion.

2. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Hello Ramon,

Welcome to the forum.

Did you choose the right input source on your plasma? The same question for your DVD-player: did you enable the video output you were using (e.g. S-video)? On some players you have to switch some of those outputs to ON on the settings menu. (This goes mostly for audio options, BTW.)

It would seem strange that you don't see an image when you connect a proper video output source from your player to the matching input on your plasma TV.

Cees

3. RamonNYC

RamonNYC Auditioning

Thanks for the help, Cees.

Yes, there was a slide switch at the back of the DVD player to indicate which output source to use ... and it worked!

4. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
  5. wpgWiggum

wpgWiggum Extra

I did a quick search, and I don't think the PFM42V1 has a cable tuner built in. It is the cable tuner that will allow you to watch basic cable. You might be able to find a VCR that can connect to your TV...with the VCR doing the channel changing?