What's new

Ingmar Bergman's PERSONA (Sweden,1966) (1 Viewer)

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Does MGM still own the rights? I want to see this film on Blu-ray. PERSONA (1966) is one of the great works of art of the 20th century. Literally. Pure cinema. I saw it for the first time in 1974 on a double-feature with HOUR OF THE WOLF (1967) at the Mini-Cinema, a repertory theater on Long Island, NY. I have never forgotten the experience of watching the determined silence of Liv Ullman provoke Bibi Andersson into talking endlessly about herself. How their relationship evolves from the professional to the personal, from a kind of hero-worship into a symbiosis that is as intense and scary for us the viewers as it must have been for the two actresses. What these two lovely ladies are capable of! The moment when their two faces merge into the same face, finally representing the meeting of minds one of them has always wanted and the other has been trying to shut out, is unforgettable. Some people think there is only woman on the island, and the other represents her argument with herself. I don't know, but it's an intriguing interpretation in a film that is beyond limits. When the film breaks, as if some kind of boundary has been crossed that should not be or as if a metaphysical crime has been committed. In the end they are two sides of the same coin, the same persona. Or something like that. PERSONA taught me what cinema is capable of in the hands of a genuine artist. It's a visionary work that rewards repeated viewings. Everytime I see it, I find another dimension in it that makes me shake my head in wonder. I'd seen one other Bergman film before that, CRIES AND WHISPERS (1972) at the Loft in Tucson, when I was too young to understand it. But I knew as it unfolded that it would become important to me later. Who else would like to see PERSONA on Blu-ray?

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
I'd like to see all of Bergman's works in HD, honestly. I recently saw HOUR OF THE WOLF and THE VIRGIN SPRING for the first time and really enjoyed them.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Criterion has already announced a couple of his early 1950s films for a couple of months from now, and I think they're also prepping Wild Strawberries for this year.

I rented Persona on videotape a long time ago, so I'd love to see it again in an edition that could really do it justice.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Matt, I love the Criterions and plan to add the new releases to my library, but they are not Persona. The MGM DVD of PERSONA is a good transfer although it could be better. The Tartan DVD in the U.K. is sharper and cleaner, but it suffers from 4% PAL speed-up. There has yet to be a definitive PERSONA on home video and Blu ray is just the medium for it. Artificial Eye in the U.K. has announced a Blu-ray box-set consisting of IT RAINS ON OUR LOVE (1946), A SHIP BOUND FOR INDIA (1947), SAWDUST AND TINSEL (1953), DREAMS (1955), and the rare SO CLOSE TO LIFE (1958) for April. Important films, but they are NOT Persona.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Forgot to include the link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00744BIDS/ref=s9_simh_gw_p74_d0_g74_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1HX7DK70TP2ECTFCZ0G6&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128533&pf_rd_i=468294

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks