What's new

Ingmar Bergman's FACE TO FACE (Sweden 1976) (1 Viewer)

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Is FACE TO FACE on DVD in any region?

It was a three-part mini-series for Swedish tv cut to 136 minutes for theatrical release in the USA. To my knowledge it's never been released to home video, but someone here may know of a foreign release.

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor
I don't know of any DVD release anywhere. This is one of the few mature Bergman films still awaiting a DVD release. I would hope Criterion might get around to it soon - they have done several other excellent Bergman releases, including his other TV miniseries, Scenes From A Marriage.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
It was one of the Dino De Laurentis produced Bergmans. Paramount released it in the US. Don't know if they still have the rights.

It played cable 15 years ago or so, but haven't seen it since.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
When Paramount first issued THE DOUBLE LIFE OF VERONIQUE on videocasette (at the dawn of their Miramax deal), they offered a deal to video stores where if they purchased 2 copies of VERONIQUE, they would get a copy of FACE TO FACE as well. They tried a similiar tactic with HEAR MY SONG: if you purchased 2 copies, they threw in a copy of ALFREDO ALFREDO with Dustin Hoffman. AFAIK, these two movies were never offered by themselves for sale, only as part of these package deals.

I have often seen tapes of ALFREDO ALFREDO on shelves but have never once seen a copy of FACE TO FACE. I don't know if the tapes were that scarce, if few stores took up the offer, or if Paramount up and cancelled the whole promotion.

The other DeLaurentiis-produced Bergman film that Paramount initially released, THE SERPENT'S EGG, reverted to DeLaurentiis and is now owned by MGM. I'm sure if they had gotten FACE TO FACE in the deal as well, they would have put it out with the other Bergmans they control, so I suspect that Paramount does still in fact have DVD rights for the U.S.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Thanks everyone for your good replies.

Bergman digs deeper than every other filmmaker combined. He's the best there is.

I know all Bergman films by heart, but I've never seen Face to Face. Criterion should approach it the same way they did Scenes From A Marriage and Fanny & Alexander -- that is, box the theatrical version together with the full-length mini-series. As for supplements -- well, Criterion knows.

Let's start a petition to Criterion or something. I tried to post a message on the Criterion Forum, but they're not letting new members join.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks