What's new

Ingmar Bergman on DVD (1 Viewer)

Matt_P

Second Unit
Hello, all. Happy New Year!

I'm a big foreign film fan, and one of my New Year's resolutions is to expand my horizons even further in this genre (well, not really a "resolution" per se, but it's a good justification for purchasing some more DVDs, no?).

Okay, I'd like to get going on some Bergman--one of the few majors I have not seen much of yet (I have seen bits of a few films--enough to know I like his work).

Where is the best place to start? The many Criterion titles? I'd like to get one of the Bergman box sets, perhaps as a starting point--should I go with the Criterion Trilogy or MGM's upcoming? Any individual tites worth checking out first? What is a good Bergman primer?

In your opinion, where is the best place to get these titles? DDD? Anyone have any bargain recommendations?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Ronald Gebhardt

Auditioning
Happy New Year to you too Mat.

I already own the Criterion Bergmans and have pre-ordered the upcoming MGM set.

A novice like you might be better of to start with the MGM box-set. Obvously I haven't seen it myself but it seems good value for money.
On the other hand - no DVD-collector worth his salt should be without 'The Seventh Seal' and 'Wild Strawberries. These are both very good films, with top quality commentaries. They are also among Bergman's most accesible films.The other Criterion DVDs might be daunting for a novice Bergman-fan.

Hope this helps you a little bit.

Greetings,
Ronald Gebhardt

Brian PB

Supporting Actor
I would start with Wild Strawberries and The Seventh Seal (both available in excellent releases from Criterion). I would then move to the three films in Criterion's box set: Through a Glass Darkly, Winter Light, and The Silence (the box set also contains one of the best documentaries I've ever seen about a filmmaker). I also consider Cries and Whispers to be essential.

I expect that the upcoming MGM releases will be very good. Many people believe that Persona is Bergman's best film (I prefer The Silence, personally), but I don't think it's a good starting point for a Bergman novice.

Of the other Bergman titles available in Region 1, I think Autumn Sonata is the least "essential". The Magic Flute is an inventive filming of the Mozart opera. There are many other choices in Region 2 (PAL). In particular, I would recommend Artificial Eye's release of Fanny and Alexander.

DVD Planet has the best prices on Criterion releases (35% off), and is currently offering free shipping on orders over $25 (media mail). Note that they have had a lot of customer service problems over the last six months or so--not sure if they've ironed those out or not.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Criterion have said that Fanny and Alexander is "a possibility" for some stage in the future. I can't imagine they wouldn't put out the full 5-hour version (especially given the recent Scenes from a Marriage announcement) if and when they finally manage to put it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks