Infrared (ir) Repeater suggestions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Preston G, Oct 15, 2002.

1. Preston G

Preston G Auditioning

I'm placing my components in a cabinet in the back of my HT and need to set up a solid IR repeater system. I've tried devices like the powermid, but get inconsistent results.

I've reviewed the posts on this topic, but haven't really found the info I'm looking for.

My goal is a reliable solution that doesn't have the usual HT price premium. I'd like suggestions on brands, bundles and where and how to get a good deal.

I'm open to the powermid style if there is one that is 'really' power (as in I can get a tan from it).

I expect I need to go with a integrated receiver/flasher system.

I need to mount receiver 50+ feet from the components.

What is really important, ports, brand compatibility, power?

I need to control 4 devices from a single room/zone.

Many thanks,
    Preston

2. Preston G

Preston G Auditioning

Come on, no replies. Gimme some love!

3. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

smarthome.com and other places have those IR distribution blocks, with emitters & a variety of sensors. The emitters are like the ones you see in most high end audio shops, and the sensors can be really tiny ones that you put inside a speaker grill etc.

No experience with them, though I've always thought they were pretty cool. I'd kinda like to get them know, but it would kinda costly (quick estimate is that it would run me a couple hundred at least for a sesor, IR block, a couple of emitters and the wiring.