Infrared Extender?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul Arnette, Feb 28, 2003.

1. Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette Cinematographer

Hi all.

As much as I hate to start a new thread on this topic, when there are quite a few of them already in this forum, I find that a few questions, specific to my situation, are going unanswered.

I am nearing completion on my new home theater, and, for the first time, my components will not be aligned next to the RPTV in view of the remote control. Instead, the components will be placed in a "cubbyhole" in the corner of the same room as the set, behind a half-wall that acts as a rail of sorts for a small set of stairs.

The components themselves are only a couple feet away from the RPTV, but their faces will be perpendicular to the set instead of parallel.

What I need is a simple and cheap method of ensuring that I can control all of the components in my system, using my existing A/V receivers remote control, without having to get my lazy butt up off the couch. [​IMG]

The components in question are:

A/V Receiver: Pioneer VSX-49TXi

DVD Player: Pioneer DV-47Ai

RPTV: Mitsubishi WS-55905

Will this unit do everything I need?

Powermid Infrared Extender Set

The price is certainly right. Are there any wires apart from what is needed to power the units themselves? It seems such a cheap and clean, i.e. no wires, means to do what I need, I almost think it is too good to be true. Someone please tell me it's not! [​IMG]

Eventually, I will probably add an HDTV receiver to my set-up, so if anyone knows of any potential problems this unit or any other unit suggested might cause, please let me know.

Thank you for your assistance.

2. Mike OConnell

Mike OConnell Second Unit

Mike
    Paul:

Hard to answer your quesiton because your link does not go to anything on the RS website.

Mike

3. Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette Cinematographer

4. Don

Don Second Unit

try getting a PRONTO and use that remote from your couch. Don,

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

There was a Radio Shack universal remote that came with a RF extension that you placed in front of your equipment. The remote was both IR and RF so you did not need to point to use it. I dont know if they still sell it.

The IR extender you linked to will do the job, but it's a bit ... obtrusive.

I just saw a Niles unit that was small, and looked very flexable for about $85.

Note: Get everything installed before worrying about this. You may be able to get by just by pointing the remote at the equipment without the need for an extender. Each device has a separate IR sensor and some have a wide angle, others are narrow. They may still all work even if the faces are perpendicular to the screen.

6. Bill_D

Bill_D Supporting Actor

Paul,

I use the Powermid unit you linked to and it works fine.

My application is little different though. I use it with the optional RF cable to get remote signals to my RPTV since my center speaker completely blocks line of sight to it. It works fine and I personally do not notice the units because it is black blends into the "blackground".

I would hate fall on it though as it would undoubtedly cause some damage.

7. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

I use the same thing. In my case I have the transmitter sitting next to my center, and the receiver is in the other room with the equipment, so its not in the way either. I believe the receiver also has a jack for emitters so you could put on top of your rack and run the emitters out of it. Overall its quite effective and works as advertised.