What's new

information on the new Toshiba line of tvs (1 Viewer)

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Thanks to Ryan for posting this in another thread. In case others didn't catch it, I figured I'd post it again
http://www.toshiba.ca/ceg/html/Flip%20Chart%202001.pdf ) geometry problems, and where?
I'd also be interested in knowing where one can get a service manual for any of the flat screen line (20AF41, 27AF41, etc etc.) I've e-mailed pacparts.com twice but have not gotten a response. I may try e-mailing Toshiba directly but I suspect they'll just refer me to pacparts.com and other authorized parts re-sellers.
cheers,
--tom

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
- Does it exhibit red push?
- Does it hold black level?
- Is the greyscale blueish in the low end of the scale?
- are there "noticeable" (i.e. without using Avia/VE ) geometry problems, and where?
Not having seen this sets, but being familiar with their recent products I would expect that...
  • reds should track pretty accurately (within 5%),
  • black levels will be quite stable,
  • grayscale will be slightly off but easily calibrated to track basically ruler flat (I don't think a consumer set exists that tracks accurately from the factory),
  • geometry problems are always a crap shoot - perfect from the factory may become offset due to transport and weather changes.
I would expect good things from these sets - Toshiba's direct views have been excellent.
------------------
--Jay
"No one can hear when you're screaming in digital."
My Home Theatre Pictures...
"You're no mesiah. You're, you're a movie of the week. You're a ... t-shirt, at best."

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Jay, I mostly ask because the 20AF41 has a red push (at least mine does) of about 15 percent and the lower end of the grayscale has a blue tint (noticeable with one's eye). It does hold black level well. Getting a service manual and learning the service menu may help in "fixing/tweaking" these. The picture is nice and I like the set but I'm most curious if these "features" will be the same in the newer 27/32/36AF41 models. My "older" 27A40 has a very balanced color decoder (no red push) and no real noticeable tint to the greyscale - other than my eyes seeing a little too much green in the low end. It doesn't hold black level well at all though and most owners of the 2000 direct view A series line that I've talked to have noticed that as well.
As for geometry problems, you're right, most direct view sets have them and it is a matter of personal preference if you can live with them (or if you can even notice them). I have geometry problems on the lower right hand side of the 20AF41 but for normal viewing, it's rarely noticeable.
cheers,
--tom

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
What's the point of a 34" 16:9 TV?
Check with Cave Creations (Link Removed), I find that a 36" 4:3 is equivalent to a 33" 16:9 TV.
WOuld a 34" 16:9 be priced less than a 36" 4:3, or is there some other benefit not obvious from the features list?
(Just wondering)

Yohan Pamudji

Supporting Actor
A 34" 16:9 can display anamorphic DVDs in full resolution while a 36" 4:3 can only display downconverted anamorphic video, losing resolution in the process. I personally wouldn't buy a 34" 16:9. Why not get a 40" RPTV for much cheaper? The space requirements are similar, the 40" RPTV is probably lighter (easier to move), and the only advantage a direct-view would have is tolerance to ambient light, which isn't a problem for me. I could see how some people might have a problem with that though.
------------------
This screen has been formatted to fit your movie.

Nathan_H

Second Unit
"A 34" 16:9 can display anamorphic DVDs in full resolution while a 36" 4:3 can only display downconverted anamorphic video, losing resolution in the process."
More and more 4:3 sets do an anamorphic squeeze, meaning no downconversion is necessary and the resolution will be as high as a 16:9 set. I don't know whether the paricular Toshiba's mentioned share this feature, but the trend suggests a strong likelihood.
------------------

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
If that PDF document is correct, the 32 and 36 inch direct view HDTV-ready sets (32HFX71?) will do the squeeze for 16x9 material - unless "vertical compression scanning" means something entirely different.
cheers,
--tom

Francois L

Stunt Coordinator
Yes Thomas, the vertical compression scanning is the squeeze thing but only on HDTV signals. With the older Tosh. you cannot use it with dvd, it will turn on automatically only when it receive a 1080i or 540p signal.I hope the new one will permit the user to turn it on at will like the sony's does.
------------------
"My god, it`s full of stars!"

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Thomas, I actually calibrated a 20AF41 just recently. The grey scale was pretty bad and actually took a while to tame. The power supply in this set is no better than marginal. Geometry was very good. I didn't check the colour decoder this time around, unfortunately. It looked pretty darn good after calibration.
I would think that the bigger sets would be at least as good or better in all categories.
------------------
John Golitsis
Next Big Thing Electronics

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Johnny, thanks. Did you find the greyscale to be blueish (i.e. high temperature) at the low end? How was it at the high end? One of my pet peeves for this set is that they didn't include a color temperature control setting in the user menu. That would have been nice. How did you access the service menu? I currently can't find a service manual for this set. Did you have one and if so, where did you get it? It would be nice to try and tame the red push and possibly, just using one's eyeballs, to make the low end of the grayscale more neutral.
As for geometry, the main problem is that the lower right hand side of the screen seems to be messed up. There is a 1/8 slant (3/16 if the screen is extremely bright) from right to left going from bottom to top, if that makes any sense. It's only noticeable when static vertical lines pop up on the right side of the screen. I think there is also some bowing which makes the letterbox lines not look ruler straight but it's pretty slight and I'm sure within specs. I thought about returning it but didn't really want to go down the dark path of lugging multiple sets back and forth from home to Best Buy trying to get the best one. And my wife certainly didn't want that :)
One feature I really like is the BBE enhanced sound. It's like night and day when listening to regular cable (this tv is in a room with no home theater receiver/speaker capabilities :) so it's nice that the tv is fairly decent sounding)
cheers,
--tom

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
William, the 20, 24 and 27 inch AF41 models are available, in the US at least. Best Buy carries that 20 and 27 inch models. I couldn't find anywhere that carried the 24 inch but Tweeter said they could special order it for me. Since my wife didn't want too big a tv in the non-tv fireplace room :) and I had a 10 percent off deal with Best Buy, I opted for the 20 inch.
I'd be interested in knowing when the 32/36 inch analog and HDTV-ready models will be available.
cheers,
--tom

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks