What's new

Information needed on In-wall speakers (1 Viewer)

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
Hello friends,

A friend of mine is building a dedicated HT room right now and he had me over to take a look at the skeleton. We decided where to run all of the wiring and cables, it's studded in, not sheet-rocked yet.

He does have a couple of small kids, so he's contemplating in-wall speakers. He hasn't ruled out in-room speakers at this point, but I thought I would check with all of the gurus on the forum. I have no experience with in-wall speakers and I've always dismissed them as inferior. After a bit of research though, I see some of the speaker greats are making them.

I would like to hear from those of you with successes of in-wall speakers...what brands are decent, etc. He does have a pretty limited budget, around 2k for speakers, receiver, and sub.

Pros and cons, I'd love to hear all there is to know about the in-wall install.

Peace,

Jeremy

Brandon Blair

Stunt Coordinator
JM Lab makes some really good in-walls. They are called Cache I beleive, and they have several different levels of them. I heard the very top end ones hooked up as the sides and rears in a 7.1 system and I was VERY impressed. JM Lab in general makes very good stuff and has gotten great reviews from everything I've seen. I even sold my B&W Nautilus setup in favor of a JM Lab Electra setup, and have never been happier with my system.
Link Removed
Good Luck,
Brandon

BobRoulier

Second Unit
Jeremy, paradigm reference in walls are nice, competitively priced and like the rest of the paradigm speakers a big bang for the buck!:emoji_thumbsup:
Good luck, Bob

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
Thanks guys...

Paradigm is my only choice in town, but it may be a while before he is ready to install them. I will check into the others today.

I appreciate the info.

Jeremy

Bill Lucas

Supporting Actor
Jeremy,
Asking for good inwall speakers on a tight budget is asking for inferior sound.
Triad makes (IMO) about the best inwall speakers made. However, the entry level Bronze Triads will set your friend back about $4000 for three Bronze LCRs, two Bronze surrounds and a Bronze InWall subwoofer. The Triad inwalls go in the wall in complete enclosures so sound bleed into other areas, stud bay acoustics and other problems that nearly EVERY other inwall made possesses become non-issues. Triads are a custom only product so you won't find them in any retailer, nor on the Internet and you won't find them discounted. They are, however, worth every penny of the price of admission.
If you friend wants inwalls he should really budget more for the speakers. Good and cheap just don't go together. ;)

I've been enjoying my M&K setup for almost a year now. I expanded my family room and installed M&K SW-95s as the main speakers and SW-85s as the surrounds. A S-85C Center channel and VX-100 subwoofer complete the system. As mentioned above, if you're going for inwalls, you have to spend some extra money. I had originally spec'd out a Paradigm system that failed the WAF. My speaker budget doubled. Now, I have a system that's killer and nearly invisible. I just have to make sure the kids (and wife!) don't mess with the subwoofer. Good luck.
Follow the link below to some information that I used in my research. It's a little dated but it'll give some really useful information:
http://www.keithyates.com/inwall3article.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks