Information about Wonka and Cats & Dogs petitions needed!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joshua Clinard, Jan 26, 2002.

1. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard Screenwriter

Joshua Clinard
    I am a webmaster at www.widescrenadvocate.com. Our site is opening soon, and I was wondering if anyone could provide me with some information on the Willy Wonka and Cats & Dogs petitions. I have written a little summary for each one, and I was wondering if anyone could help me fill in
    any missing details, incorrect dates, data, or sources. Thank you.
    Wonka Petition:
    In early August of 2001, Warner Home Video sent DVDFile a DVD screener of Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory (30th Anniversary Edition) to review. The Disc was due August 28th. Despite all previous announcements, the disc did not include the promised widescreen image. Even J.M. Kelly, the producer of the DVD, did not know that the DVD did not include the widescreen image. Soon after this was reported, Phong Huynh, an HTF member initiated an online petition urging Warner to release a widescreen Willy Wonka. All the major DVD web sites, and the Home Theater communities supported this petition. The petition had gathered more than 11,500 signatures, by August 21st. Then, Warner Home Video issued a press release announcing that a widescreen DVD would be released on Nov. 13th. On August 23rd, Warner issued a press release stating that a widescreen Wonka would arrive on November 13th.
    (Who is J.M. Kelly?)
    Cats & Dogs Petition:
    On 8/15/2001, thedigitalbits announced that Warner's Cats & Dogs would be full frame only. Soon after, Chris Hillery created a petition to get Warner Home Video to release Cats & Dogs in widescreen. After gathering over 3000 signatures, it was announced that there would be a widescreen
    version. (I couldn't find the date of this annoucement.)
    I am especially hazy on the details of the Cats & Dogs petition. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    [edited to include dates of August 21st, and 23rd for Wonka summary]

2. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

His full name is Phong Huynh, and you could search on his HTF name "Phong" or for the subject "Wonka" to find the relevant stuff. Or just search on the word "Petition" in conjuction with those titles.
    You'll see that I kinda involved myself with these two issues, so I remember where the threads are. Don't recall every detail, though. Senile. [​IMG]
    Here's a link to the thread started by Phong that announced the success of the petition.
    If you read to the end of that thread, you'll see that most stores did NOT have the WS Wonka in-stock on the release date of 11/13, and it was a month or more before most folks were able to get it.
    If you read this thread, you'll see all the troubles that folks had, but that I got mine on street date from a music store across town, since noone else had it.
    As for Cats & Dogs, you'll see info about it's release date woes in this thread and (along with more Wonka info) in this thread.
    And more info about DVD Producer J.M. Kenny here.
    That ought to get you started!

3. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn

4. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard
    Thanks guys. I have edited the Wonka sumarry with details. If anyone else has any ideas, please let me know. And David, your name was the most familliar, other than Phong, during the petition.

5. Phong

Phong Agent

Hello,
    Although the petition gained a fair amount more signatures after I printed and sent it out to WHV, the version that WHV receieved contained 10,686 signatures and was 300-some pages. (I don't recall exactly how many pages.)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The petition was mentioned in a trade publication, Video Store Magazine, although the article ran after WHV's widescreen announcement. (I'll post the link later on if I can find it.)
    After the announcement, the petition was also mentioned in Entertainment Weekly (#614, Sept 14).

6. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard
    I already saw this article. Phong, what did you think of my desciption? What should I add to it?

7. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard
    Bump. anyone know the date of the announcement that Cats & Dogs would get a widescreen release.

8. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard
    I need info on the Cats & Dogs!

Please help...

Anyone?

9. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Joshua, I don't know the answer. I can say that's it's probably out there in an HTF post, and a search will probably turn it up. Sorry I can't pin it right down for you.