inFocus X2

Discussion in 'Displays' started by craig_curtis, Apr 15, 2004.

1. craig_curtis

craig_curtis Stunt Coordinator

Craig
    just saw it was announced today... what's the diference between it and the 4805?

2. Scott Dautel

Scott Dautel Second Unit

Here's the specs.

No mention of Faroudja. Also notice that this is original 800x600 SVGA DLP chip (i.e. 4:3 aspect ratio). the SP4805 is a true 16:9 chip. X2 specs also note that the S-video input is a 4 pin mini-DIN. So they've taken away the option of feeding the X2 interlaced component video.

This is likely the X1 replacement that was rumored to be coming back in December. To me this clearly looks like InFocus is continuing to implement their marketing strategy of segmenting the market into HT (ScreenPlay 4805) vs. small business/casual users (X2).

Also looks to me like the same unit is being re-badged and sold as the ASK Proxima C110 Projector

Scott

3. DuWayne

DuWayne Stunt Coordinator

Umm wondering Scott...

What does the S-Video Jack have to do with rather you can feed it 480i on the Componet port or not?

*Edit...it doesn't even have a Componet port, but does have RGB

4. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So

On the X1, the Svideo jack has extra pins where it takes in a component signal. If the jack is a basic 4-pin jack, then that means they've removed the extra pins for interlaced component input.

5. Scott Dautel

Scott Dautel Second Unit

Ahhh, NickSo the wise .... he knows of what he speaks [​IMG]

6. craig_curtis

craig_curtis Stunt Coordinator

Craig
    brilliant answer. thanks for the insight!

7. Dave Man

Dave Man Stunt Coordinator

The 4805 will actually arrive with a 4:3 chip, not the 16:9 as mentioned earlier in the thread. I had heard the same thing, but I talked to an Infocus rep last week who confirmed it for me. 4:3 is the deal, fellas...

8. Brent Hutto

Brent Hutto Supporting Actor

Dave Man,

In another forum Bob Williams from InFocus has posted a lot of information about the 4805 over the past couple of months. At no point has he said anything other than the 4805 using a new 854x480 DMD from Texas Instruments. At one point a few weeks ago he was quite emphatic in correcting someone's posting that it would be a masked 4:3 chip.

I'm not saying your information can't be accurate but I am saying that it would be an extremely odd 180-degree change of direction from what one of their engineers has insisted on from day one.

9. Dave Man

Dave Man Stunt Coordinator

Brent,

This whole thing with the 4805 was kind of funny (not haha funny...) to me too because the local dealer told me that the 4805 was going to be 16:9. It seems like that is all I've heard as well. However, the Infocus rep was in their shop last week and we had quite a conversation about the 4805 being a 4:3 chip, not 16:9. (The dealer was a bit peeved that they had sold their 4:3 screen and replaced it with a 16:9...)

That said, my information is only as good as the infocus rep I heard it from. I don't know him, but he was adamant that it is a 4:3 chip.

I guess we'll see in the not-so-distant future.

10. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

"Ahhh, NickSo the wise .... he knows of what he speaks "

Oh no now you've done it, watch out for the ever growing head of NickSo[​IMG]

Brent