Infocus X2 vs Optoma EP 739

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Bobby_Ray, Jan 6, 2005.

1. Bobby_Ray

Bobby_Ray Auditioning

Im in the market for a projector. After alot of reading I have narrowed my search to these 2 projectors and while i realize they are very much not equal i need to decide if spending the extra $700 for the 739 is worth it. I would like opinions from you guys to help me determine.
    I plan to watch more tv than DVD movies. Will there but a very noticable difference in picture quality as the X2 is 800x600 and the EP 739 is 1024x768? How much more noticable will the 700 lumens be that the EP 739 has? My lighting situation is one that is favorable for projectors, generally the room that will contain the projector is "low/medium" light during the day. So yeah, thats about it. I have no problem saving a the extra money for the EP 739 if I will be satisfied but on the other side I would go ahead and get the X2 if the difference is not marginal. Thanks in advance for your opinions.

2. John Brill

John Brill Supporting Actor

Hi Bobby,

You should read the reviews at projectorcentral.com on both units.

First thoughts are don't go for the X2, it is meant purely for the presentation market. The Infocos 4805 is more for the HT market and is the upgrade from the X1.

When I looked at the Infocus 4805, Benq 6100, and Optoma 739, none of them gave a great image for basic NTSC TV. All of these units perform better with DVD, HDTV signals.

In the end, I went with the Benq 6100 mainly based on price ($700 cheaper than the 4805 here in Canada).

Cheers,

JB

3. Bobby_Ray

Bobby_Ray Auditioning

Thanks for the post. In the mean time i read a post here about the EzPro 745 @ tigerdirect for 300 less that the 739 @ $1300 with the same specs. Ive been reading alot but i like to get human opinions too so thanks for any input.
    Now tigerdirect has the EzPro 741 for $799 and its 1800 lumens with 800x600 so now im even more torn.

4. John Brill

John Brill Supporting Actor

Like I said, visit projectorcentral.com and look at the top 10 list for projetors in your price range. Tons of consumer reviews and opinions.

IMHO, lumens is only a factor if your room is a bright one. In a dark room, 700 lumens can be plenty bright depending on the image size you plan on projecting. However, brighter is usually better and more $$$.

Cheers,

JB

5. Bobby_Ray

Bobby_Ray Auditioning

I think ima go with the EzPro 745, i read all the reviews and am going with it. Thanks for the input

6. Brian Gi

Brian Gi Stunt Coordinator

So what's your opinion of the 745 Bobby?