What's new

InFocus X1 woes... (1 Viewer)

JoePez

Auditioning
Real Name
Joe Durrant
Hi everybody,

I have a nice Samsung HDTV for my home theater centerpiece, but I am also interested in an entry-level projector for personal use and also for my movie club. So when I recently noticed an InFocus X1 on eBay that was in need of repair, and therefore cheap, I decided to "roll the dice" and got it for $100.

I am definitely not a gadget fix-it person for anything else than minor stuff, so I admit I was more or less hoping for a miracle with this one. Unfortunately that appears to not be the case. As advertised, the screen is distorted, and sadly this happens immediately from startup. I was hoping at least that I could see the startup screen so as to play around with the menu options, restore to factory settings, etc. But I can't make out anything. I did a quick search on the board and did notice a thread on fixing grounding problems but I don't think that's what's wrong here. I took a photo of the projection, which is attached to this message.

So I humbly ask the group, are there any miracle fixes? If not, what are my options in terms of getting this repaired (send it back to the company, go to an authorized repair shop, etc.), and any idea how much it might cost?? If it's anything more than $200 or so I think I'll just prefer to put this experience behind me and start saving up for another entry-level projector that is, you know, functional. :)

(If it helps, I can confirm that the X1 has firmware version 4.3)

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I can't help, but maybe someone at AVSForum can, try asking there if you haven't already. If you decide to ditch the X1 please email me, I'll be interested in the used bulb.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks