Infocus X1 vs. Sanyo Z1?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DavidY, Jan 3, 2003.

1. DavidY

DavidY Supporting Actor

In the under CDN$3K (US$2K) range, I've been told that some of the recommended FPTVs are:

Infocus X1 ~CDN$2300 online
    Sanyo Z1 ~CDN$2900 online

Has anyone auditioned either or both of these projectors? Comments? Pros and cons of each? I know that the X1 is DLP, Z1 is LCD.

Buying a front projector sight unseen? The X1 is typically on backorder, Z1 is hard to find.

Thanks.

Dave

PS. If you know of a dealer in Vancouver or Edmonton that has a X1 or Z1 for a demo, let me know.

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    If I were to pick between these 2 units, I would probably opt for the Infocus X1 1000/2000 a.l. over the Sanyo Z1 700/800 a.l. on contrast ratio but each has its plus and minus points. Anyway, the money you save on the X1 could possibly be allocated to a better screen or other equipment. One thing to note about the X1 is that the 1000 ansi lumen rating is not for movies but when you use it as a data projector. I believe it is only rated around 500 ansi lumens in movie mode so you will be looking at a room that has good light control.

Whatever you do, be sure to demo both. The X1 has a 2x colour wheel so you may want to see if you notice any rainbow artifacts or not.

3. DavidY

DavidY Supporting Actor

Thanks, Neil,
    What are your thoughts on the Panasonic AE100 (Japan model) as compared to the X1 and/or Z1? There is one available including a HOYA filter for CDN$3K (used @ 120 hours; 3 months old, bought from Japan) here in BC. Thanks. I believe that the seller is upgrading to a Sony VPL-VW12HT.
    Dave
    PS. I might be able to get a refurbished NEC LT240 for CDN$2900. The dealer doesn't currently have any stock....but I will keeping an eye on it. [​IMG] Comments?

4. Trey Jones

Trey Jones Stunt Coordinator

Don't forget about the new Dell 3200mp. Great little projector and better resolution that all mentioned. With a dell coupon code it is easily under $2K.

5. Cramer_A

Cramer_A Auditioning