What's new

infocus x1 vs sanyo plv-z2 vs panasonic pt-l500 (1 Viewer)

guerra

Auditioning
- I am thinking in buying a projector but its my first one and i dont know mutch about it, after some search and .. i have select this 3 ones, the infocus is less expensive i can buy it for 1200 euros here in portugal :) , sanyo 1800 and pana 2000 euros, are the sanyo and pana justif.. the extra cost, i will use the projector for dvd..
- I have seen ppl upgrade form the x1 to the z2 and saying that there was a big diference in quality, but what do u ppl think ??

-Thx..

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
The X1 is only 800x600 but since it's based on DLP technology the contrast and blacks are noticeably better than the other 2 which are LCD. Biggest problem of the X1 is its slow 2X color wheel which produces rainbows that have given some headaches, and others can't seem to see it at all. The X2 is supposed to come out soon with (I think) a 4X color wheel and a 16:9 display ratio.

The Z2 and the AE500 both qualify as HD projectors since they can project 720p in widescreen natively. Try out the X1 and the Panasonic and see which suits you best.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I believe RonP did comparisons between the X1 and the Panasonic L200 and noticed that the contrast ratio of the X1 was not better than the L200 (he can confirm this). Sometimes (often) the numbers (specs) do not always match with the real-world results. If so, then L500 may have a better actual contrast ratio.

guerra

Auditioning
- i have read that the z2 and pana are almost the same, but the z2 seems to be a more popular product.
- I cant wait any longer so infocus 4805 is out ...
- I am more in the sanyo z2 way, since its a little less expensive and in forums ppl say that is really good.

THx u ppl.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron

Yes I did and yes I can.

Having in home demoed both the X1 and the 200u I can say that the contrast level / black levels are nearly identical with a slight favor going to the LCD as to details within those blacks. I used fellowship of the Rings as my test disk and shot onto a DaLite Matte White screen and a DIY light gray screen.

Both had identical screen door issues and both needed a slight defocus to hide it. Set-up / calibration was very easy on both. Color rendition on both was equally impressive, vibrant and accurate. The LCD does produce a slight greenish hue with flesh tones. A CC05M filter can correct this or a good calibration will correct it enough so as not to be an issue. I tried the filter, but found a good calibration worked just fine.

With all the inaccurate internet talk of poor LCD blacks I was not looking very forward to comparing it to the dlp, I was very surprised at my findings. It was equally as impressive as the dlp. I think a lot of people that make comments like those above have not seen a recent LCD machine, properly calibrated in a 100% light-controlled room.

I also belive that these digital projectors require a gray screen for the best performance. I found the white washed out the entire image too much.

Peace Out~:D

guerra

Auditioning
- Have u ever compared the pana with the z2 Ron-P?
- My doubt is really here, the pana or the z2 (sanyo).
- I have read that the performance off this 2 are almost the same... The z2 here cost 200 less, not mutch but..

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
ok sorry, I was going by screenshots not specs btw. If Ron's real world comparisons say different then the LCDs don't sound so bad after all. Given the money though, I'd still rather go with the 720p DLP offerings. ;)

The "X2" I was talking about is actually the Infocus Screenplay 4805. The resolution wil be 854x480, sport a 4x color wheel and comes with a newer DMD chip that is tuned for home theater display. Problem is it comes out late May.

edit- Ok I found the site comparing LCD vs DLP (X1 vs Sanyo Z1) and the results were pretty interesting.

http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/article/1645.3/

With all that's known about LCD's contrast levels I don't see how it could be better than a DLP. :confused:

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron

LCD technology has come a long way in a very short time. Too many people have not seen the recent line-up of (properly calibrated) PJs and tend to recall the crapy blacks from years ago.

I was pleasently surprised at the results. What stood out in the Fellowship of the Rings was the detail under Gandalf's hat during the beginning of the film and also detail inside his coat. I saw detail here that I did not see on the X1.

My point, lcd is no where near as bad as it used to be and no where near as bad as that review makes it out to be. It is, in my experience, equal to that of dlp.

Peace Out~:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks