What's new

Infocus X1 vs Dell 2100MP (1 Viewer)

Matthew Will

Stunt Coordinator
Hello,
I was noticing how remarkably cheaper the Dell 2100MP was today and then I also compared some of the other specs of the two models.

The Dell has the same 800X600 resolution but a higher max resolution than the X1.

They are both 4:3 units but im not a hardcore ht guy so I'm not going to worry about that.

They have the same 1000 ANSI rating.

the X1 has a Full/On off contrast of 2000:1 while the 2100MP only has 1800:1 but still close.

The only other important difference I can see is the X1 has a higher range for the H-sync frequency.

So here is my question. Is the Dell 2100MP an even better choice for the enthusiast that is on a budget? For this cheap a price I might just have to get it and let my friends suffer through the rainbow effect themselves. Hehe....what do you guys think? Matt

Matthew Will

Stunt Coordinator
Another thing I can consider are the used DLP's on projectorcentral.com. Since I'm not a diehard enthusiast, like I said, there are some good buys. Even a 1024X768 DLP costs only 1000-1600. Although the contrast levels aren't as good as the 2100MP or X1 the ANSI levels are still decent and the picture quality would be amazing in my pitch black basement. Here are some links to specs of DLP's currently being sold in my price range -

http://www.projectorcentral.com/proj...fm?part_id=923

http://www.projectorcentral.com/proj...fm?part_id=947

Those are just some examples. How would those work compare to the Dell 2100MP and Infocus X1. Would I really miss out if I didn't have the high contrast levels of those two models? I imagine perhaps the XGA resolution along with DLP technology of some of these units would produce an outstanding image. Matt

P.S. - I realize those examples only have 1000 hours of lamp life but others, near the same price, do have 2000 hours worth. So don't explain that they are worse than the X1 or 2100MP because their lamp life sucks. There are others with similar lamp lifes to the X1 and 2100MP

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Keep in mind that the contrast rating listed is when the projector is at full brightness. In lower-end and business-level DLP projectors, this usually means that a white segment is added to the color wheel to boost the brightness, which in turn boosts the contrast level. However, using the white segment washes out color and reduces color saturation. You'll also get whites that overpower the image. White will be much brighter than the brightest primary color, for example.

Contrast ratio as listed by manufacturers is very misleading. When you calibrate the projector, expect the CR to drop to half or more. I believe the X1, after calibration to achieve correct grayscale and color balance, will likely yield something closer to 500:1.

Maximum resolution doesn't mean very much. It just means that the projector will downsample the image to fit the pj's native resolution. For watching movies, it is almost always better to have an external scaler or let the DVD player or HTPC perform the scaling internally to yield a superior picture.

I have an NEC LT240, a 1024x768 4:3 DLP projector with 2x color wheel. It has sealed optics, so dust will not get into the light engine. No dust blobs! Very nice machine. Comparable to the X1 (I have not seen an X1 myself), except with the higher resolution. Can be had for below $3K US.

Unfortunately, I am very prone to rainbows. They drive me crazy in black and white and dark movies! Otherwise, the image is stunning.

The X1 is very well-regarded on the AVS forum. If rainbows don't bother you (it has a 2x color wheel as well), you can't go wrong with it.

Be careful that you don't rely on the manufacturer specs. They are almost always exaggerated to the point of uselessness. You really have to see for yourself, preferably where the projector is calibrated by a professional. There are many informal projector shootouts announced on enthusiast forums (like AVS).

Matthew Will

Stunt Coordinator
Well that is sort of my point. Although the used DLP projectors Ive mentioned have lower contrasts they do have a higher native resolution of 1024X768. So would it make more sense for me to spend the same on a used DLP to get the higher resolution but less contrast considering constrast is more controversial than native resolution? Matt Perhaps the X1 isn't all that great compared to the pictures produced by some of these other projectors. Since my basement is pitch black I could also put them in low power mode to extend bulb life. Matt

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Hmmmm, very hard to say Matt. Some people are more sensitive to contrast (ie. don't like the brighter black level) than others. The "screen door" effect might be an issue with the X1, like you said, depending on how close you sit to the screen. The X1 has lower light spill than the older XGA (1024x768) projectors, or so I've heard.

Noise could be an issue with an older projector as well. You may need to make a hushbox. And, there have been complaints of motion artifacts such as tearing and image breakup on some of the older models.

You may want to have a look at the avs forum in the Digital Projectors under $5,000 USD forum. They have much more experience with DLP projectors than myself! You can use the search function to see if there is any experience with the projectors you are considering.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
You can see the pixel structure when you get close to an image, even on a DLP projector. If I get within a couple of feet, I can see the "dimples" in the middle of each DLP mirror.

Granted, it's not a big deal with DLP projectors.

Doug_H

Supporting Actor
The X1 as with most DLP projectors drops the lumens down when in film mode. This counters the effects of having to much wash out. On the x1 the lumens drop to 800 according to the manufacturers numbers but I have heard it is more like 500.

The screendoor effect can be countered by having the right projection size for your viewing distance. If you go too big you will notice the effect.

These dual purpose projectors can be very good and I think it is hard to beat the x1 for the money. I am planning on ordering one next month myself. I am fortunate not to be cursed with seeing the rainbow effect so I figure with proper set up the X1 is the perfect budget machine for me.

Chad Anson

Second Unit
One thing to keep in mind also is that I don't think the Dell projector does not have a zoom lens. Not a big deal if you have flexibility in your mounting position.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks