What's new

Infocus X1 questions (1 Viewer)

Harry Lincoln

Stunt Coordinator
I'm about to buy an Infocus X1 DLP projector, and have a couple of questions.

I have demo'ed a SP4800 but cannot get a demo of an X1, I understand the firmware and default settings are different between the two. I was very impressed by the image of the 4800, I am assuming I can get the same results with the X1. Is there any reason to spend 33% more on the 4800?

Has anyone used this unit with a denon DVD-2200 prog scan player? If so which gives the better image 480p into the VGA port or 480i into the svideo port using the faroujda video processor? Is there much difference between the two?

I have heard rumours that the X1 will be losing the faroujda chipset in the near future, has it happened yet and if so how can I identify whether the model I am getting has the faroujda or not (I am talking about markings on the box or something similar - I can't demo the X1).

Can anyone recommend a screen that works well with this unit, something about 90 inch diagonal. Is it worth doing A DIY screen or are the results better with a bought one?

Thanks in advance.

Harry.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
IMHO, there is no reason to buy a 4800 as the X1 is the same thing. You will get the same PQ as you did wtih the 4800 as you did the X1. Though the X1 does not have all the same features as the 4800 (missing gamma adjustment for example), this is only in the firmware. YOu can basically turn your X1 into a 4800 by flashing the 4800 firmware into the X1 (Technut canada at AVSForum.com has all the info on it)...

The X1 still has the Faroudja chip, they have not removed it as of the writing of this sentence.

As for the screen, if you have total light control, go for grey (or better yet, Misty Evening... Check out the screens ofrum at AVS), as this will increase the contrast of the image.

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
Is Infocus not sending X1's out for demos any more? Last I heard anyone could get one if you put a company name on the form you fill out.

Harry Lincoln

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the replies, I picked one up a few days ago, very happy with it.
Mike, I assumed the free demo offer applied to USA only.

FrancisD

Auditioning
To reply to your question on the screen, I'm using the misty evening painted screen (on drywall) with a flat black surround (4:3 - 96")and I am very happy with it.
I would recommend the DIY screen to anyone, it works great and keeps costs down. Not only that, I can clean/fix it whenever the kids make a mess of it (which is bound to happen with 2 little boys).

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
Francis,

What did you use to apply the paint to your screen? I'm going to make one of my own as soon as I have time to round up the materials.

Did you spray or roll? If you rolled, what kind of roller did you use?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks