Infocus X1/Polarizing Lens & Rainbow Effect

Discussion in 'Displays' started by FredNO, Nov 3, 2003.

1. FredNO

FredNO Auditioning

Has anyone out there tried using a 62mm Linear Polarizing Filter to correct the Rainbow Effect on the Infocus X1? If so, please let us all know how much has it helped get rid of the Rainbow Effect? Do you have any other sullutions? Thanks

2. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

The only way to really reduce the rainbows is to speed up the colour wheel ... and you cannot do that. It is an inherent weakness of the unit at this price point ... if you are suseptible to seeing rainbows.

Regards

3. andy_brehm

andy_brehm Stunt Coordinator

is there anyway of knowing if you are susceptible of seeing the rainbow effect? i am considering getting the X1 and was curious...

4. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

I used a Neutral Density filter (so it doesn't polarize the picture) and it definitely cut down the amount of rainbows I was seeing. After a while I quit seeing rainbows so I took it off. Use one if you must to reduce the brightness, but regardless of what people say, there is a decrease in color also.

Edit: Here is a link to the filter I bought. Tiffen Neurtal Density .3 Filter

5. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

Andy, the only way I guess is to try an X1. Get one in a store with a good return policy. I had an NEC LT150 which is also a DLP and I didn't see any there but I saw them on the X1.

6. FredNO

FredNO Auditioning

First thanks to all who have replied please keep this thread going with updates on how to combat the Rainbow effect. It is sure to help many who have this problem.

Thanks Jed M, I for one will definitely try the Neutral Density filter also thanks for the link.

As to Andy_brehm’s question

“is there anyway of knowing if you are susceptible of seeing the rainbow effect? i am considering getting the X1 and was curious...”

I believe that everyone sees it but some are more sensitive to the Rainbow Effect then others. I say this because I had 6 people over to see “28 Days Later” for Halloween all saw the Rainbow Effect each was bothered by various degrees BUT no one thought it a terrible problem. Personally it is only a slight problem and one I am willing to deal with (if I have to, thus this Thread) because the alternative is a few thousand dollars more for a higher end projector.

I only have the X1 for one week now. Other then the Rainbow Effect on the Infocus X1 I couldn’t be more pleased with the picture Quality. I actually project it on an eggshell white wall with the picture blown up to approximately 5 ½ feet by 5 ½ feet. I wanted to see how it would work out in my living room before I invested on a screen. If I were you I would only buy it from a place that has a money back return policy so if you really couldn’t deal with the Rainbow Effect you could return it. I will let everyone know how the filter works once I get one.

7. DavidY

DavidY Supporting Actor

Last week, I ordered a 62mm Hoya HMC ND2 filter (neutral density) for my X1. Based on other forums, this appears to be the filter of choice for the X1. Can't wait for it to arrive...

Dave

8. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

9. andy_brehm

andy_brehm Stunt Coordinator

does anyone know of any online dealers that have a money back policy? i am still a few months away from purchasing (gotta save money) but i will be buying it online since there is no place near me that sells this kind of stuff.

thanks

10. Rick Guynn

Rick Guynn Second Unit

Only if you are determined to stay with DLP. Otherwise, alternatives are available for only a couple hundred dollars more.

RG

11. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    When I had the X1, I tried the polarizing filter and an ND filter, both did slightly reduce rainbows because they reduced the light output of the PJ. I also shot it onto a white and gray screen. The gray did reduce rainbows, but again, due to the darker screen color.

Peace Out~[​IMG]

12. FredNO

FredNO Auditioning

I have just purchased the Tiffen High Density 62mm .3 Filter With great anticipation I put it on my Infocus X1. Did not help the Rainbow Effect! There was an ever so slight difference. It did make the picture darker and I had to adjust the Light and Contrast. I then decided to call Infocus. The good part is I actually got to talk to someone using their 800 number and they answered in about three minutes. The bad part is there is really nothing that will correct the Rainbow Effect in these lower cost DLP machines. They did say that the higher ends do not have the Rainbow problem. Do I want to go $5,000 – NO! I have decided to live with the Rainbow Effect (it really isn’t that bad) and keep the Infocus X1 because other then the Rainbow Effect it gives a really great picture. I am trying to ignore the problem and hoping that someone might come up with something to correct it, but from all my research, I really doubt it.
    Fred

13. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Fred, don't feel you need to live with the rainbows. Why spend $1,000 and not be happy? Have you demoed any LCD FP's? They put as equally as nice a picture as DLP. My Panny 200u I found just as nice and even a tad better with blacks. I bought it for $100 more than the $999 X1 price.

Peace Out~[​IMG]