What's new

Infocus X1: Laserdisc and VHS viewing question... (1 Viewer)

Sam H

Second Unit
I've been interested in the X1 for quite a while now (and am anticipating the upcoming 4805). I've heard accounts of the de-interlacer being extremely good, but how does it hold up with VHS/LD? BTW, I'll probably be projecting onto a 92-106" screen from around 14 feet back. Do the formats in question show greater than usual flaws on the 'big screen'? I'm coming from a 32" Sony Vega analog, and the picture is fantastic.

If anyone can provide screen shots, that'd be a nice bonus! :emoji_thumbsup:

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor
I demoed the X1 for 10 days, using that free 10-day trial period that Infocus has on their website.

I projected the image onto a white sheet, and the final 4:3 image measured to be 125" diagonal.

And of course, I spent quite a bit of time calibrating it properly using DVE.

Personally, I found that VHS almost always looked better than DVDs on the X1. I know it will sound strange to everyone who reads this, but it's true. VHS looked simply jaw-dropping, where as DVDs would loose all blacks and shadow detail.

So, if you're going to be using this for VHS, I'd say that you'll be more than pleased with this projector.

Dennis Gardner

Stunt Coordinator
Blow your Sony up 4 times its actual size without increasing the resolution and you will wonder what you saw in the Sony in the first place.

The X1 has alot more resolution than your Sony, but at the 100" size you are looking for, you may think that the resolution is less, since it may not equate to 4 times the improvement.

The X1 is amazing at 60-70" wide and still holds quite a punch at the 92" that I have chosen.

The X1 is one of the better budget pjs for cable, VHS, satellite, or LD since the internal line doubler works its wonder making those feeds progressive in nature.

Sam H

Second Unit
Thanks for the replies, guys. :)

I never would have thought that VHS would look "amazing" from a projector and at that size. It's kinda funny, really, because I still have around 1000 VHS tapes that I've bought from a local video outlet over the years and have always wondered if I could view some of them (along with my Laserdisc collection) in a theater setting without it being one big chroma noise and artifact party, or without having to pay nearly the price of the projector itself for a good line doubler.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks