What's new

InFocus Question (1 Viewer)

Kevin-W

Auditioning
I'm setting up my first HT system, and I have a quick question regarding InFocus projectors.

I will be throwing from about 12 feet,from the ceiling, and having the primary seating at about the same distance.

I have used all the calculators, and I'm struggling to find a real difference between the InFocus X1 and the Screenplay 4800, except the $300 extra and native XGA on the 4800.

There are some other minor differences as well, all of which I don't quite understand yet... :)

Does anyone have an opinion on which of these 2 projectors I should consider? If there's a big difference between the 2, I would be happy to spend the extra $300.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!

Zeeshan T

Agent
I am also new to this but i have been researching this for the past week. I think you should go for the x1. I know the x1 has an awesome contrast ratio and i believe it has a 1000 lumens. If your room is fairly dark, i would suggest saving that extra $300 and buy an x1. You could spend some of the extra money on a low gain screen. Thats jus my advice from what i have read on the web over the past week. Hope it helps.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
I've owned an X1 since last summer and it's terrific! I'm just now looking into a DIY screen, but the wall has been good enough for this sweet little projector. As long as you have the room and a clean wall large enough for your needs, you'll be good to go as soon as you get the X1.

Dave Man

Stunt Coordinator
The X1 and 4800 are identical. My fee for this information? $300!!! lol

Seriously though, these projectors are the same deal. You may verify this information through Infocus directly, but I've contacted them and talked to 3 people to verify. (I like to make sure before I buy as well...)

So...what to do with that extra $300 that is now burning a hole in your pocket?

By the way, check out the dell small business unit for pricing. I heard that the X1 was selling recently for $850 or so (which is where I got mine and what I paid for it.)

David

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
The X1 and the 4800 are identical, except for a little bit of difference in the firmware between them.

The unofficial X1 FAQ (recommended reading):

http://members.shaw.ca/technut/x1faq/

The new Infocus 4805 is due out in a couple of months: 4x RGBRGB wheel, widescreen native, retail is 90% likely to be $1299. Worth considering a wait if you watch a lot of widescreen (I'm upgrading my recently purchased X1 due to rainbows).

Kevin-W

Auditioning
Thanks for the input. I've actually expanded my search, as I've added component video inputs to my list of requirements... :)

Scott Dautel

Second Unit
Kevin ...

Just so you are clear, the X1 DOES have direct component video input. It goes in through the s-video plug using a special adapter ($10). Notice that normal s-video is 4-pin, but the s-video socket on the X1 has 7 holes. The extra 3 pin holes are for component R/G/B.

I'm in agreement with Dave above. I would wait for the 4805 coming in a month or sooner. The fact that this new version uses a 480x854 DLP chip w/ 4x colorwheel essentialy enables 1:1 mapping of widescreen DVD source material with NO downconversion. If, however, you intend to watch lots of 4:3 material, the original X1 is the choice since the DLP panel is native 600x800.

If you are hellbent on an X1, email me ... I'll make you a deal on mine (6 months old,

Dave Man

Stunt Coordinator
I believe that the 4805 is out right now. I just stopped by my local dealer's shop and they had one in stock... I think your price is accurate...

David

JohnSer

Stunt Coordinator
I demo'ed a X1 just before xmas, and have been patiently waiting for the 4805. Dave Man is correct, from all the info I have read on the X1 and 4800. There is just a slight firmware change (default mode & minor default settings). The 4800 comes with a couple of cables, and I think, a different remote, but still not worth the $300.

Dave Man,
Where did you see a 4805? From what I have been reading, was expecting it for a month or two. Infocus doesn't have it in its product listing, on their website, yet.

Dan M

Second Unit
where do you buy this adapter? I looked around at CC and Radio Shack and nobody has one. Is it something I must purchase directly through Infocus?

I bought an X1 last night to demo. The manual says that component video offers the best video quality so I really would like to try it out before I make up my mind.

mark alan

Supporting Actor
I'm going to go with overnight shipping ($558). Boy, I bet that they would like to sell one at that price

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Well, comparing to the X1 where almost everybody sells it less than $5 off $999, $24 off is a pretty good deal (not relative to the X1 i mean) :D

arman-m

Auditioning
---- CLUB Web site is still showing 4800 available.

Screen is not a matte screen
and comes with 4800 instantly not rebate....

DECISION, DESICION, SHOULD I BUY OR SHOULD I WAIT FOR 4805

MARCH... APRIL.... MAY....?????????????? when???????

WHAT IF THE NEW DLP CHIPSET IS NOT AS GOOD AS THE X1/4800'S

:angry: :angry: :angry:

JohnSer

Stunt Coordinator

After having a X1 to demo, waiting IS the hardest part. I feel it is highly unlikely the new chipset will be worse than the old. While our family didn't see rainbows, the 4805 with 4x color wheel, should ensure we never do. Also brighter bulb and designed for widescreen, should have a brighter picture with better contrast. Not pushing alternative HT forums, but found allot of info on AVS forum.

If it happened to come true, (or you view primarily fullscreen 4:3 material), snatch up a x1, which should be firesaled at the same time. I'd take a harder look at some of the other low-end DLP PJs, like BenQ 6100-6200 and others, as well.

JohnSer

Stunt Coordinator

One came with the demo unit I have. The S-video has special pins that are not standard for the component. Get it direct from Infocus or possibly Ebay.

There is some excellent info, in the Unofficial FAQ.

Dan M

Second Unit
thanks John and Scott.......can anyone tell a significant improvement using this adapter over the standard S video?

Right now I'm only demoing the X1.....just wondering if it is worth spending the extra 10 bucks (and shipping) to see if PQ is any better with this adapter. Problem is, what if I don't decide to keep the X1? Then I'm stuck with an adapter I don't need....i know....sell on ebay:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks