What's new

Infocus DLP projector with rainbow effect (1 Viewer)

Chris:-/OV

Stunt Coordinator
I just purchased an Infocus DLP projector but when watching movies i notice a rainbow effect on the image which is being displayed and it gets very annoying and movies aren't enjoyable. Is there a way to fix this? I have tried using both the S-video and RCA video inputs but nothing has helped. Will running the movies through my computer help using the vga input and then i'll also be able to use a scaler on the pc to better the picture.
Please help!

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
No there isnt a 100% 'fix', but there are upgrade. go to avsforum.com in the $3500 and under digital PJ forum, they have a dedicated rainbow thread... Suggestions were adding some filters which decrease rainbows (but also brightness).

This is a downfall of older DLP technology, it may create bothersome rainbows as the color wheel is not fast enough (2x).

However, there is hope. Many (including me) have noticed that after prolonged use, you may adjuts to it, and not see rainbows again. About 4 days into owning it, i saw many rainbows, but a week later, i barely saw (and still now) any rainbows. I watched SIGNS last night, where ther are many scenes of black with moving brightness (like flashlights), i barely saw any rainbows, and were not bothersome at all...

If you can't return it, i suggest keep watching it more, check out the advice found at the AVS PJ forum, and likely the rainbows will just disappear.

Good luck...

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
Try Nick's advice. AVSForum has a lot of information on how to reduce it and all. Good luck and I sincerely hope it works out for u.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
There has been talk also that a gray screen reduces this effect as well, as compared to a white screen.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron

I've heard this as well. But, in a situation like mine, I have friends and family over occasionally. There not watching it enough to adjust to rainbows thus that could possibly make for a miserable movie night.

The X1 is a great machine for the price and puts out a beautiful picture, but, there are other in the same price range that will as well.

Peace Out~:D

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Ive had people over to watch as well, no complaints about rainbows yet (so far about maybe 12-15 guests cumulatively over the past 3 weeks i've owned it)...

I really believe MOST people, who do not know about rainbows do not recognize it (not to say they don't see it), and it doesn't become that big of a deal. Rainbows are really one of those things you wish you didn't know about, coz now you can't stop seeing them (like EE and the Chroma Bug).

Bob~M

Auditioning
My experience with rainbows on my Samsung HLN507W tracks wiht NickSo's. At first I saw them fairly regularly, but now after 6 months I almost never notice them. I can *make* myself see them, but I almost never notice them otherwise. We are adaptable creatures.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks