Infocus 4805 vs. Sp5000 I need help

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Eric L., Jan 30, 2006.

1. Eric L.

Eric L. Extra

Ok after looking at a ton of the pics in the gallery and reading threads, I noticed quite a few people using the Infocus projectors. I have found the Infocus 4805 and Sp5000 for the same price after rebates.

I am in the process of finishing a space in my basement that is approx. 18x12 with a 7ft ceiling. 95% of the time it will be completely dark to watch DVD's and the other 5% will be for watching sports while playing cards.

Since this is my first attempt at a HT, I want something that has that "WOW" effect, but I don't want to get in over my head with a complicated set up...

Let me know what you guys think. I'm open to all ideas.

2. Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Cinematographer

The IF 4805, a single-chip DLP projector, provides a better overall "balanced picture" due to its outstanding contrast ratio attributes. It's main performance limitation in comparison to the IF 5000 is the fact that it's a 480p native resolution projector. This is actually an advantage when viewing DVD since it doesn't have to scale this source. A well mastered DVD just looks stunning on a properly calibrated IF 4805; and 1080i cable High-Def sources look surprisingly good as well due to the 4805's excellent de-interlacer and scaler circuitry. A (very few) people that are hyper-sensitive to RBE (color separation artifacts caused by the spinning color wheel) might see them with this projector. The unit employs a 4x speed, 6-segment wheel which should eliminate RBE for about 90% (or better) of the population.

The IF 5000 is a 720p three-panel LCD projector. It has a resolution advantage on the 4805, and there's no problem with RBE since it doesn't utilize a color wheel, but that's the extent of its advantages. The 5000 can't quite provide the "depth" to a projected image that the 4805 can due to its poorer contrast ratio specs. It also lacks the outstanding Faroudja DCDi de-interlacer circuitry of the 4805. Having said that, I've demoed the 5000 with a good progressive scan DVD player and found the picture ... "close to acceptable". Don't get me wrong: The lack of depth is very noticeable, but the unit has almost enough contrast ratio to get by on, and the picture is a little brighter than the 4805. Also, most cable boxes can be set to output High-def at 720p which will neatly side-step the unit's (relatively) poor de-interlacing capabilities. The SDE (screen-door effect) is about the same on both projectors due to the fact that DLP has better pixel-fill than LCD.

The bottom line: If you're not hyper-sensitive to RBE, the 4805 is the clear choice between these two projectors. Due to its superior contrast ratio it can provide a better overall "film"-type projected image from a well-mastered DVD. And its outstanding de-interlacing and scaling attributes allow it to provide a surprisingly competent picture when viewing 1080i sources. (I've been the proud owner of a 4805 since July and still grin from ear-to-ear every time I feed it a well-mastered DVD.)

I'm sure you're aware that Infocus will be introducing three new single-chip DLP consumer projectors toward the end of March. These new projectors have native resolutions of 480p,576p, and 720p respectively; and all boast even better contrast ratio attributes than the 4805. Of course, they'll also cost more. Infocus is already advertising these projectors at their site if you want to check them out. (They're certainly housed in sexy-looking boxes!)

3. danDo

danDo Agent

The 4805 definatly has a "WOW" effect. We are working on our first HT and our 4805 showed up friday. The picture is absolutly amazing. Unfortunatly my wife sees rainbows all over the screen. Fortunatly, the people at Infocus were great about issuing a RMA w/o any questions. I went ahead and ordered a 5000 while waiting for the RMA. I'll let you know what I think when it shows up. If it gets here quick enough I may even be able to compare side by side [​IMG]

Before this projector, we have only used "normal" TVs. I am sure that somone who is very "into" video could find somethign wrong with the image from the 4805 because we ended up maxing out the zoom. It still is the best picture we have ever seen.

4. John S

John S Producer

I think she will like the SP5000. My lady sure likes ours.

5. Eric L.

Eric L. Extra

Thanks for the info. After reading your replies, I was ready to stop by a store to see if they could demo a 4805 for me. But while I was on the phone, the sales guy started asking a bunch of questions.

What about HD? He said all TV will be HD in the next couple of years? If that is the case, should I lean towards the SP5000?

6. John S

John S Producer

The SP4805 displays HD at ED resolutions just fine.

I can assure you in this ultra bargain of bargain HT projectors. The differences are much less pronounced than most here post or admit.

In a dedicated theater where the contrast levels make a large difference the 4805 is better. In a living room where raw lumens have the most bearing the SP5000 is very good.

7. DelRay

DelRay Stunt Coordinator

When I was looking into projectors, my first choice was the 4805. But, due to my 7'6" basement ceiling and a max 6'6" screen height,(soffit), I would have had a serious problem with the Image Offset on the 4805. So, for me the 4805 was a no go. Something to check into with 7' ceilings.

8. John S

John S Producer

7' cielings are almost tailored made for the SP5000 by the way. [​IMG]

9. Eric L.

Eric L. Extra

You guys are great. With the Super Bowl and NCAA Men's BB Tourney coming up, it made more sense for me to go with the 5000 since there will be a few lights on and a few poker games played.

I ordered it about an hour ago and paid the $5 for the two- day shipping. $999 (after $300 rebate) and a free 76" screen... I can't wait for it to show up Friday!

Next will be to see what the guys at SVS recommend for a sub...

10. danDo

danDo Agent

We got our 5000 in mid last week. I took pictures, but I can't find the camera cord yet [​IMG] But it looks like you ended up getting the 5000 anways. How do you like it?

The only differences I see between the two are less screen door effect with the 5000 than with the 4805(probably due to our sitting distance) and a larger image from the 5000. The 4805 is long and narrow compared to the short and fat 5000. Interesting that the few inches difference was noticeable on the screen. Of course my wife enjoys movies more w/o the rainbow effect.

It is now sitting in the box again and is our reason to get the room finished.

11. Eric L.

Eric L. Extra

Sorry for not posting an update sooner... I did get the SP 5000 on Friday afternoon and it is GREAT. Please understand that the largest TV we previously had was a 27"... so this is still all very new to me. My wife thought that this was just another gadget that I would have to figure out, but I had it out of the box and playing a DVD up on the wall (it's just a painted off-white wall) in less than 10 minutes. My son (he's 2.5 yrs) kept saying "play Nemo Daddy" and let me just say that my wife couldn't believe the amazing quality of the picture. She actually looked at me and said "I'm impressed!" - you guys deserve the credit for the help and advice!

It's funny you say that b/c I just put mine back in the box yesterday. I plan on ordering a sub very soon too, so between the SP5000 and a new SVS sub, I have plenty of motivation to get our basement finished too!!