What's new

InFocus 4805 TVAuthority Q&A (1 Viewer)

GregoryP

Supporting Actor
I couldn't hold out any longer. After reading many, many reviews and this forum, I bought a 4805 this week. I'm upgrading from a 40" Toshiba TW40X81 Widescreen TV.

After reading all the reviews that state the colors on the 4805 will blow you away, I was initially underwhelmed. The colors on my Toshiba are much brighter. When comparing the two, the 4805 appears dull and washed out.

I pulled out Digital Video Essentials and tweaked the 4805 a little, but it didn't require much tweaking. I had tweaked the Toshiba recently too.

Next, I thought maybe there was a problem with the cable, but after comparing both using the same component cable, I eliminated that possibility.

Yesterday, I sat down and just watched the 4805 without doing any comparison. The colors do look good, they're just a lot different from what I'm used to. Without knowing what "correct" is, I'm starting to think that maybe the Toshiba is too bright.

What do you folks think? Has anyone else experienced this type of problem?

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Maybe one thing to consider is the size of the image. Are the image sizes comparable? I think the smallest size the 4805 can go is around 45 inches.

I had the opposite experience actually, moving from a 47" Toshiba RPTV. I currently have the 4805 set to a 50" image.

Frank Lee

Stunt Coordinator
Gregory, This may be a dumb question but, do you have your lights all the way off and the room is totally dark? A little bit of light makes an enormous difference.

GregoryP

Supporting Actor
The sizes are quite a bit different. I'm going from a 40" RPTV to a 76" Screen. Does that mean I should expect the colors to be darker?

All comparisons have been done in complete darkness, because I didn't want ambient light to be a problem.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Well, I think to truly compare you need to be comparing the same sizes at the same viewing distance. How would the RPTV look blown up to 76 inches (and it's probably telling they don't even make CRT projection sets that large).

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
I've been on the fence about buying a front projector now for a while. My problem is that I suffer from being very sensitive to RBEs and am curious as to how well you can see it with the 4805. My problem is that if I were to get a projector, to keep away from the DLP RBEs which I see even on rear projection TVs in the stores (and at friends' homes) I'd probably spring for the Sony LCD HS51, but that's springing for quite a bit ($3000+).

So, anyone else here who is sensitive to RBEs seen the 4805 in action have an unbiased opinion? Like on average, how many times would you see it during a 2-hour movie? I found with lower-end 4x color-wheel projectors in the past, I would see RBE at least once every minute.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I can easily see RBE too and it was the main reason I didn't go for the 4800/X1. I decided to wait for the 4805 to see if there was an improvement. There was enough of one to make me keep it. There are occasions of RBE with the 4805, but usually in the most extreme contrast scenes. But even with those instances the "flashes" are not as pronounced or "large." However, I think the only way to decide for your level of sensitivity is to see it for yourself.

Gregory,

I am interested in hearing your feedback on the 4805 since you upgraded from a RPTV. I am thinking about purchasing it. I will be replacing a Panasonic 47" HD RPTV. I am not sure what size I will be using the 4805 at....probably around an 80" diagonal.

Has your experience just been poorer color brightness or vibrance, or also a lack of sharpness and clarity.

I am also hesitant because I will be giving up "true" HD in order to take advantage of a larger size. How does the scaled down image of HD look on the 4805.

I believe that I want DLP over LCD...so HD DLP's are out of my price range.

I would appreciate anyone else's comments as well.

Thanks

James Phung

Second Unit
HDTV scaled down to the 4805 looks fantastic. It may not be as detailed as true HD but the color resolution is much greater compared to DVD and is still maintained when viewing on the 4805. There is a clear difference between HDTV and DVD on the 4805.

Kin

Agent
Hello All!
Just a reminder that the mail in rebate is ending at the end of July.

Scott L,
Sorry to hear about the bulb. There are a few things you can do to prolong bulb life (and please add on to this list if you remember something I am leaving out).

Use low power mode.

Turn on and off only when necessary.

Turn off properly.

Keep the projector in a clean non-smoking room.

Clean the filter regularly.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I'm just curious why some of you guys are going with small screens like the 76" screen(other than it's free) and an 80" screen? Is it small room size/short viewing distance?
I use a 106" diagonal with my X1 and it's great. I'm thinking of upgrading to the 4805 after it gets a little cheaper, and they fix the flicker problem I've been reading about.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I'm probably the most extreme example of having a small screen with the 4805 (a mere 50 inches) and the reason is exactly the limitations of my room. Sure, I could put up a 76 inch screen or larger, but it totally kills the room as a living room and for now I want that balance. It took me awhile to let it go though :) Of course this doesn't stop me from putting up a big screen (still only a 73 incher) for special occasions and rearranging the room for that purpose.

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
Hey Jim, I am not sure about the others but here are some of the reasons I am going with the 76" screen......
#1 is of course it was free. I was intending to buy an 80" but believe it or not the quality of the included screen is quite good. Is it a a nice Stewart or Carada......of course not but it will be enough to get me by for a bit. (I will eventually be building my own screen a experimenting with a lot of the paint mixtures out there.) It is also the gain I needed too so that helped. The reason for the "small" size is simply that I am sitting about 10-12' from the screen (depending on which seat) so using the 4805's 2x the screenwidth rule it pretty much put me at the 76-80" mark for a screen. Believe me...I would love a nice size screen like you but for my situation I am just about maxed out for size as it is. 10' form a 76" screen is still pretty darn cool though after moving from a 27" tube set :)!!

adrian.M

Auditioning
hello,
i got a really stupid question to make.

My distance will be 10' and i read on the infocus site the longer i can have is 72"

I was wondering if this is the real limit or the recommend limit?

THis 72" is with full zoom etc and the only way to get bigger size is by moving the projector back...

i`m asking this since if is the real limit, then i should go and buy a 72" screen, but if not, i`ll wait until i get the projector to decide how big my eyes can deal with it.

thanks

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Those figures are accurate, so real limit. Your seating distance will also be a factor in the impression of size. Best to be 1.75 to 2 times the screen width.

Kevin Hillyard

Auditioning
This seems to be the place for all things 4805-related... sorry if this is an inappropriate place for such a question!

I'm very interested in a 4805 - and I see I can get a refurbished one for ~$850, or a new one (with In Focus's rebate) for ~$999.

Looks like the refurbs come with a 90 day warranty from In Focus - but I'm curious if the bulb is going to be brand-new, or have some hours on it already.

Any suggestions on "to refurb or not to refurb"? Thanks!

Kevin Hillyard

Auditioning
Wow - that sounds like a pretty amazing price. Might be tough to hold out and see if they offer it again - kinda want one sooner rather than later ;)

I'm still wondering - am I going to regret going refurb? Any personal experiences with refurb pj's?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks