What's new

InFocus 4805 TVAuthority Q&A (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Even with displays like conventional RPTVs the sage advice is to compare which is better at "line doubling" - the display or the player. Generally people find the display is better at converting the signal, especially when using an inexpensive (e.g. under $150) progressive scan player. If you follow the link above to Home Theater Hi-Fi's list of tested DVD players, you'll see that not all progressive scan players are created equal, and consistently those using the Faroudja deinterlacing chip rank highest. Because the 4805 incorporates the same technology, one is essentially getting the best part of those high end players without having to purchase one.

That said, in my experience I've found the XBox DVD playback to be okay, but not great. The most obvious problem is its inablity to display blacker than black. It may suit your needs, but I would encourage trying another player. With games you'll have no complaints I'm sure.

Andy_A

Second Unit
Robert, it really wouldn't matter much when it comes right down to it. However, if you watch a lot of movies on the xbox I'd probably get a cheap dvd player just to save the wear and tear on the xbox.

Your post indicates you are now using a 4805. If so, are you happy with the picture from the xbox? Have you tried it with various cables (composite/svideo, etc.) and if so is there a detectable difference?

Robert Silge

Agent
Sorry, I realize in retrospect that my post is a bit misleading. I DO NOT have a 4805 right now. We have a RPTV but when we move we are not taking it with us and I am thinking strongly of getting a FPTV of some sort, and the 4805 is the leading candidate.

Jack Ferry

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jack Ferry

Got to agree. I also went with inexpensive cables to my 4805 and get great results.

Guess I could also tell you my opinions on speaker wire, but I think I'm a bit off topic already...

Edit: Just to make sure no one misunderstands, there IS a significant difference between the types of cables. DVI looks better than component, which looks better than s-video, which is better than composite. I have not, however, found any difference between component cables with different prices and advertising.

Lorne

Agent
I've had an X1 for about two years now, 1100 hours on the bulb, and have absolutely loved every minute of using it for DVDs, HD cable, and Xbox, but lately I've been thinking that it's two years later and maybe I'd want to upgrade. I don't know anyone else who has a front projector so I can't do a real comparison myself, but in reading all the great things about the 4805, I have been really curious. Given that I've loved my X1 for a while now, were I to get a 4805, what improvements would I notice? Is it worth it to upgrade before the bulb burns out?

LT

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I've had the chance to see both the X1 and 4805 in action. The most obvious difference to me is the reduction of the RBE (rainbow effect) with the 4805. I saw it quite a bit with the X1 and was the main detterent for my getting it. It is barely noticeable on the 4805 and when I do see it, it is only with extreme contrast areas and nowhere near as jarring as with the X1.

I'd say the picture quality is improved with the 4805, but by how much may be somewhat subjective. Because the projectors have different native aspect ratios, it will sort of come down to what source material you tend to view. If you're strictly viewing HD and DVD the 4805 doesn't need to scale from 4:3 to 16:9, so there's a benefit there. Of course both need to scale down the HD signal to 480p.

Is it worth the upgrade? Hmm...tough call. I'd say identify your chief complaint with the X1 and determine whether the 4805 solves it. In my case it was RBE, so it was a no-brainer which to choose.

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
I agree with Guo.....if I had my choice than the 4805 is certainly the better HT projector....but like you said...you are enjoying the X1 a great deal. If it were me and I could get a few bucks for the the X1 and found a good deal on the 4805 I would definately make the upgrade. It has a lot of major differences....the 2 BIG ones being the fact that the 4805 has the darkchip in it. Colors and black are going to be better with this chip. It also has a RGBRGB color wheel which will reduce rainbows and offer better colors and contrast as well. To me the 4805 is the ultimate DVD machine and is very good at displaying HD.

Just wanted to let people know that InFocus got me my screen and s-video cable in less than a month, making it the fastest turnaround on any rebate I've ever sent in. The screen rocks and is way better than the patched-up drywall in my apartment. I still love the projector and think it's a sure bet for anyone in the budget projector market.

Greg

terence

Supporting Actor

Speaking of HD, i know, i know it's only a 480p pj. BUT i just got my Dish Net 811 HD box hooked up and WOOOOOW!!! :D

HD looks outstanding! Right now as i type this i'm watching the NBA playoffs (76 vs Pistions) on ESPN-HD. I'm very pleased w/ the PQ. :emoji_thumbsup: :D

JohnTKline

Stunt Coordinator
I'm really interested in this pj, and knowing that it's not a true hd projector has me somewhat concerned, even with some opinions stating that it still looks good with hd material. Is is that good at the wow factor displaying hd, or should I look for a true hd pj?
I know it would be hard to compare apples to apples with the same image from the 4805 and a 720p pj, but does anyone have some photos of hi-def material taken from the 4805, just so I could rest easy that it will look pretty sharp?

Thanks,

John

Julian Reville

Screenwriter

I have the 4800, which probably isn't as good as the 4805 for Hi-Def. When I first plugged in my OTA set-top box to the 4800, using 1080i, via component to HD-15 adapter, I was amazed at how good the picture looked. Definitely a WOW factor.

Paul-D

Stunt Coordinator
JohnT
Please go here and look through it. Click on people's gallery. Many of them have pics of the 4805 in action for both DVD and HDTV. I would defintely go with this pj.

Good luck

Julian Reville

Screenwriter

I have the 4800, which probably isn't as good as the 4805 for Hi-Def. When I first plugged in my OTA set-top box to the 4800, using 1080i, via component to HD-15 adapter, I was amazed at how good the picture looked. Definitely a WOW factor.

Dwayne

Supporting Actor
I finally purchased this projector last week and have been quite impressed with the PQ.

In thanks to the great service that Ron and Parker have provided over the years, I chose to buy from one of this site's sponsors...TV Authority. Athough, I do admit that it is not an entirely selfless act. ;)

Seriously, its a win win situation. You get to deal with a great vendor and support an invaluable resource at the same time.

I would like to add Aaron to the list of people that Parker mentioned earlier in this thread from TV Authority. Very pleasant to deal with and no hassles. Also, I was pleasantly surprised how quickly my projector shipped.

Good stuff all around.

Frank Lee

Stunt Coordinator
I just ordered a 4805 from Kin. He is a nice guy and I got a smoking deal, what more could a person want? Now I just have to wait for it to get here.

James Phung

Second Unit
Is there a reason why you want a vga to component adapter? The 4805 already has component inputs on the projector. Do you need a 2nd component input?

Frank Lee

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, the reason is that the company that sells these has very good prices. They are out of the compnent cable until 5/28. I would like to have my projector going before then and I thought this cable may work. It is about the same price. If it would have any downfalls because of the connector I wouldn't go this route. I am just looking for a cheap, but good cable that I can get in the next week or so.

James Phung

Second Unit
I'd recommend getting a good set of regular component cables. Using a component to vga to be connected to a vga to m1 adapter can cause some signal loss. Additionally, since all of this is going into the m1 port, it can only receive 480p and up signals (no 480i). Sending a 480i signal via the regular component inputs will allow the Faroudja chip in the 4805 to process the signal and do its magic. Additionally, it would be ideal to free up the m1 input for better video sources coming from hdmi or dvi.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks