What's new

InFocus 4805 ... please Explain (1 Viewer)

John*DB

Stunt Coordinator
Hi there. I need some tech geeks on here to help me explain some thing about this projector. I would appreciate some LINKS to further explain the answer to my question.

QUESTION:

The 4805 is NOT an HD projector right? wrong? I am guessing (with my limited knowledge) it is not. NOT for $1500 or less. So what is it? What makes a TV or Projector High Definition?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
John, the 4805 is NOT a HD projector. It is a 480p projector, which is the same resolution as a DVD and standard satellite TV. It will accept a HD signal(720p, 1080i) and scale it to 480p in the projector. It will not display a true HD image, but it looks really nice, better than a DVD. A true(native)HD projector is 1280X720(720p).
Are you looking to buy a HD projector?
What is your budget?
You can buy a 720p LCD such as the Panasonic 500 for less than $1500. The Sanyo Z2 is just over $1500. The 2 that replaced those, the 700 and Z3 are about $2000.
Go to Projectorcentral.com and read the "Highly Recommended Projectors", and other basic info.

John*DB

Stunt Coordinator
I recently purchased a 4805 and could NOT be happier and all my friends and relatives are jealous!!

I just did not know how to explain to them in simple terms (since I am a newbie) that it is not a true HD projector. Thanks Jim!!

If anyone else can give me links to other sites that explain this in detail or add more to what Jim said, I would appreciate it!!

I'm trying to search for info myself but help would be good!

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
John, the simplest way to describe HD, whether it's a TV or projector, is with how many lines of resolution. Standard TV is 480 lines of resolution. HD is 720 or 1080 lines of resolution. The more lines of resolution, the better the picture. PERIOD.

Steve_L_B

Stunt Coordinator

Only true if all other aspects of PQ (brightness, contrast, etc.) are equal. There have been several studies that indicate that contrast actually influences perceived picture quality more than resolution.

-Steve

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
I LUV mine too, its the best $1200 I ever spent! :D :D :D I was about to toss out $3k-4k on a plasma too.

Kirk Patrick

Stunt Coordinator
how is the PQ on the 4805 versus a large RP-CRT like a 65" or so?

if you dial down the 4805 screen size to about 84" or so are they are close in picture quality for dvd's ??

which looks better for dvd's in a totally dark room??

(assuming both are setup and calibrated properly)

tia

terence

Supporting Actor

Me three! I was going to drop $3,500 on a Toshiba 65", i'm so glad i went the pj route!

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
Well I have not done the comparison you mentioned above but I have mine hooked up to a Zenith DB318 (read up on these too!!! :emoji_thumbsup: ) upscaling dvd player and the picture is amazing, IMHO. Once my soon to be home theater is up and running in January or so I plan on having it calibrated so the colors should really be stunning. You might try AVSforum.com they have a more extensive pj area and one hell of a big thread on the 4805.

See:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=414103

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
The question is, does an HD feed on this entry level true HD projector look better than on the SP?

--
H

Kirk Patrick

Stunt Coordinator

thanks todd

anyone interested in the 4805 should take a look at this thread

i personally really enjoy seeing permanent "model" based threads, very helpful

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks