InFocus 4805 not HDTV?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Kevin_F, Feb 3, 2005.

1. Kevin_F

Kevin_F Stunt Coordinator

Because the resolution of the 4805 is only 854x480, how does it broadcast HDTV?

2. John S

John S Producer

If this is true, it displays it in ED (480p) resolution.

This is not as bad as it may sound on the surface. Many of the really great Plasma displays are ED by the way.

3. Pat Frank

Pat Frank Stunt Coordinator

Well it doesn't "broadcast", of course, it "receives", but if I remember correctly it will interpolate (?) higher resolutions like 720 and 1080. The manual also lists 576 and 1035 as compatible resolutions.

I guess the real question would be -- how does it look at those resolutions? Does it look better at 1080 than it does at 480? Does it look better than a normal TV image when attached to an HD tuner rather than a regular sat/cable box?

I'm afraid I don't know, but perhaps others here can answer.

4. Benson R

Benson R Supporting Actor

I have the x1, which is the predecessor to the 4805 and I have it connected to an hdtv cable box. HDTV looks fantastic on it, and it is a huge improvement over dvd, and I watch dvd on a liteon 2001 upconverted to 1080i, which many here feel has a great picture for a low cost player.

Even movies on hbo and hdnet movies are a big enough improvement that I have been thinking of purchasing a dvhs player so I can get some prerecored hd movies.

Many here will tell you that the dvd can look as good as hd on an ed display, but even the best dvds I have dont measure up.

Over at the avsforum someone had said that although these projectors are limited to the maximum resolution of dvd, that only refers to the maximum resolution of the luminance part of the signal(the black and white part of the video signal). The chroma signal, or color part of the signal, on a dvd has only half the resolution of the luminance part of the signal. When viewing an hd source on and ed display, you can see twice as much color information as you could with a dvd.

5. Kevin_F

So even though the resolution is 480, it can still show up to 1080i?

Would the same signal or dvd look better on a projector that has 720 resolution?

6. John S

John S Producer

If all other factors were equal, it would. But as I say, raw resolution is only a small part of the entire story on how good any particular display will be.

7. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

That may be the case when comparing similar size plasma displays. However, when comparing front projectors and gigantic picture sizes resolution is a more important factor.

I have an X1 and HDTV looks breathtaking on it.

8. John S

John S Producer

I agree, definetly more important as screen size goes up. But still only part of the story, definetly not the entire story.

It would not surprise me, if some of the best 480p projetcors, are better than some of the lower prices 720p projectors.

9. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

The 4805 will project a very nice HD image. Will it be HD?? Technicaly no.... as HD is usually 720p or 1080i. If you sit 2x the screen width a way it will look very nice with no or hardly no pixel structure. As someone said already the 4805 will downconvert HD siganls....which it does very well by the way.
    With that said, I would not shy away from a projector because it is 480p. A lot of great projector are out there that will look just as good if not better than a 720p projector. Contrast ratio to me can almost be just as important as resolution. The 4805 has a 2000:1 CR.....very high for a unit that you can currently buy for $999!! What you really need to do is figure out what the projector will be used for. If it is stictly for DVD's and you can sit 2x the screenwidth away the 4805 is PERFECT. If you throw in a littl HD and gaming it is still great. If it is for mostly HD and you will want to sit close I would not get it. Go for the Panny 700 or Sanyo z3. I think the big thing with the 4805 is sitting 2x the screen width away. If you can do this than it will be absolutlely wonderful. A little closer is ok too.....but if you 1.6x or closer I would look elsewhere. Good luck.

10. Kevin_F

Thanks, I was just curious about how it displays HD with that resolution. I will mostly be using my projector for HD and dvd's and will be sitting closer than 2x. After reading numerous threads on this site (I'm not even going to mention how much I have learned from it), I've decided to get the Panasonic 500. It costs a few hundred more than the 4805, but it has better resolution and, as with the 4805, most people that own, say they love it.

11. John S

John S Producer

Man, I'd love to be able to stage my own shoot out with those two projectors.....

As Evan posted, you trade off contrast ratio.

Any 4805 owners near Walden, NY?????? [​IMG]

12. Pat Frank

How in the world do you do THAT?

13. John S

John S Producer

I do it too with my Zenith DVB-318....

They are a few of the upscaling DVD players that allow 1080i output from a DVD out the anlog component video ports, they sort of made it through the loop hole when they first came out. The latest versions of my Zenith no longer will do this unless you re-load a previous version of the firmware. I bought two of them, for when my current one goes out by the way.. [​IMG]

It's the 2nd comming for some of us including me, others report little to no improvement over their better 480p players though. My display only allows a native widescreen mode from 1080i sources, so the improvement for me on anamorphic DVD's was earth shattering over any 480p player where my display locks full 4:3 only.

14. Pat Frank

Thanks for the info.

15. Kevin_F

Your right Frank, I do give up some on the contrast ratio, but you gotta give a little to get a little :)

I also would love to see these 2 projectors in the same environment.