Infocus 4805 flicker problem

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Holadem, Feb 18, 2006.

1. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Unit is 8 months old, bulb ~600 hours.

For about 2 weeks now the picture has developed a flicker that is extremely annoying. The frequency is about 5Hz. The flicker isn't always there, it shows up for half an hour, goes away for 15 minutes, comes back etc...

I cleaned the lamp housing, dirt accumulation on the grill was minimal.

An ideas?

--
    H

2. Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Cinematographer

I would try running the bulb in "High Power Mode" for about a half-hour. Based on what I've heard, that should take care of the "flicker" ... (Something about stabilizing the bulb arc).

I've also heard that there is a version of the firmware that under certain situations will cause "flicker", but if this has just developed it's probably your lamp. Try the "High Power Mode" for a bit and see if that straightens it out.

3. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Thanks Joseph, I've tried running on High Power mode, and it does get rid of the flicker, but it comes back eventually after I return to Low Power mode. It's hard to know that the HP mode has any lasting effect since the flicker thing was always erratic anyway.

It's seriously unsettling that I should be having these issues at less than 600 hours!

--
    H

4. Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Cinematographer

Here's a post from an Infocus 4805 tech regarding this issue, over at the AVSCIENCE forum:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post5820302

I've owned my 4805 for almost a year and have around 1200 hours on the lamp, and the only time it has flickered was during warm-up. I'm running component (not DVI) from both my DVD player and Hi-def DVR box via a component switcher.

My firmware version is: 1.0.2.

I've heard that later versions of the firmware (1.2.1 in particular) do exhibit this "flicker" problem; and that Infocus will release a newer firmware version "shortly" which will fix the problem. If you're having the problem with one type of source and not another, then it could be a firmware deal.

In the meantime, I would try running the unit in "High Power Mode" for about another two hours, as recommended by the Infocus tech.

Sorry you're having these problems ...

5. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Thanks again Joseph, that was a very clear, concise and very useful write-up [​IMG]. I feel better now, and trust that the flicker will go away soon.

Yesterday I did go a couple of hours without.

--
    H