Infocus 4805 fan problems?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Galen V, Mar 17, 2006.

1. Galen V

Galen V Auditioning

I purchased an Infocus 4805 about 18 months ago on the strength of recommendations in this very forum. I've been very pleased with it.

About a month or so ago I noticed some degradation in picture quality and an ocassional horizontal smearing - not a lot but just enough to be noticeable. So, I looked up threads on cleaning the 4805 here and at AVS forum.

I removed the lamp module this past weekend and cleaned the filter screens. Last night when I turned on the unit (from sleep mode, I hardly ever power it off) I heard a whine. It wasn't loud and I thought it might be the color wheel noise I've heard about. Ten minutes later it gets loud enough to hear over Law & Order and turns into almost a grinding. Then the unit shut-off. The casing around the lamp module was almost too hot to touch. I unplugged the unit and let it cool. Sure that the lamp had blown I removed the module to inspect it and found nothing untoward, looked good. Plugged the unit back in and turned it on - without the lamp. I could tell that the noise wasn't the color wheel but the fan directly behind the lamp module wasn't turning. After reassembling everything I turned it back on and got a picture. The lamp wasn't toast after all. But the noise was still present. Looking through grills the fan behind the lamp still wasn't turning. It looks like the fan is toast which caused the unit to overheat.

Has anyone else experienced fan failure or know where to buy a new fan?

2. James Wis

James Wis Auditioning

You should have a 2 year warranty if you bought it new from an authorized dealer.
    Send it in for repair.
    Best to get it down right by people that know what they are doing.

3. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Funny, the fan in my 4805 also went out causing it to overheat. Was just cleaning the lamp though (didn't void the warranty).

Took em over 2 weeks but they sent a fully working refurb with a new bulb inside. Looked better than the original (probably due to no dusty components) and no color wheel whine.

I'm happy I got a decent refurb, but will definitely check out the competition before going with Infocus again. Good luck!

4. Galen V

Galen V Auditioning

Well, I've slept on it and decided I should try to send the unit in for warranty work rather than try to fix it myself. My unit didn't have much color wheel whine - the fans were definitely louder. So I'm a little worried about what I get back from the repair center.