What's new

Infocus 4805 and screen size (1 Viewer)

JoOak

Auditioning
Hey everyone,
I ordered a infocus 4805 screen play dlp projector with a 106" 16:9 diagonal screen. Its currently on the way, in fact the screen just arrived today. still waiting on a few other items. I believe the measurements of the screen are like 51.967'' heigh x 92.387'' wide. I plan on sitting around 13ft closest viewing point to 23ft furthest viewing point away from the screen. Alot of times my guest will be 13ft away. sometimes I may be at this shorter distance as well. Will this be ok as far as viewing distance? Anyone else have this setup or close to it? I have no room to move the first viewing area any further back. Thanks Josh

Jonathan Smith

Stunt Coordinator
The rule of thumb with this projector is that you want to sit back about twice the width of the screen. Ideally, you'd probably want to be a little further than 13 ft back to avoid seeing the screen door effect. However, different people have varying levels of sensitivity to this effect, so you'll really have to wait and see how it looks to you. I have heard several people say they are very happy at 1.5 screen widths viewing distance, and others that need to be beyond 2x. For me, the 2x rule is spot on (I am sitting about 14 ft away from an image that is 7 ft wide, and that is just the right distance for me). Like most things in this hobby, it's subjective.

JoOak

Auditioning
thanks, what happens to you when you move up a little closer, say a foot or foot and a half? How does it look then? If your screen is 7ft wide i think that will put mine only 8 inches wider than yours. Is that very significant I wonder? Also my close viewing distance will be 13ft, where you sit about 14ft away from a 8inch less wide screen. Also anyones else opinion is welcomed thanks josh

Jonathan Smith

Stunt Coordinator
When I move a foot or two closer, I start to notice the the individual mirrors during bright scenes. It doesn't look "bad", but it's distracting enough to me that I'd rather sit back a little further to get a more fluid-looking image. In other words, the projector's resolution becomes the limiting factor to an enjoyable viewing experience when I move any closer. How good your vision is will be another factor in determining how far back you can sit without being distracted.

Just to make sure--have you looked in detail at where you will place the projector and determined the range of screen sizes you can achieve from that location?

JoOak

Auditioning
Yes, I have looked into that. My room is 23ft long. the projector has no limits on where it can be put so that is not a concern. I displayed the image on the wall before I ordered the screen with a demo 4805 from the store im buying it at. It seemed to look pretty good, then again it was a wall and not a screen. We measured different links as far as screen size and the salesmen im buying it said, you might be able to get away with a 106'' screen. We were concedering ordering a custom size from dalite, say anywhere from 96'' diag all the way to 106. It was not a sales tactic to get more money because it did not matter the size after i went over 92'' i got charged for 106 even if i had ordered a 93'' screen. The custom sizes are no more, but if they do not stock that particular size they just charge you for the size the do stock that is the next size larger. So then I ordered it. After i ordered it i became concerned just because I started reading much more about the projector and read this may be a concern. thanks for the help, Josh

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks