Infocus 4805 and HD, I keep losing the signal...

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Inspector Hammer!, Sep 7, 2006.

1. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    I own the Infocus SP 4805 and I just got HD finally, however whenever a really bright scene that contains a high level of contrast comes on the screen, or if there is rapid flickering in the movie, tv show or music video i'm watching, the projector will lose contact and it takes the projector a second or two to lock on again.

Again, this only happens with really bright scenes or flickering images, usually with a bright flash accompying them like you'd see during a flashback scene for example. Why does it keep doing this and, more importantly, how do I get it to stop? It's quite irritating. I have the projector connected to my cable box with a good set of componant cables, just FYI.

2. Alon Goldberg

Alon Goldberg Screenwriter

3. Alon Goldberg

Alon Goldberg Screenwriter

Another possible fix:

4. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson
    Thank you, however simple flickering of the bulb isn't my problem. While watching HD material the screen will actually go black as the projector loses the signal for a second or two, I then get the 'Searching...' icon and then the projector reaquires the feed.

Again, it only occurs when something with high contrast appears on-screen, almost as if the projector is 'closing it's eyes' because it's too bright and it can't handle it. It doesn't do that with standard def material or DVD, only HD.

Best way I can describe it.

5. Steve Berger

Steve Berger Supporting Actor

You need to adjust the "sync threshold". This has been a common complaint.

Unfortunately there is no concensus as to whether to raise it or lower it, you just have to try both. If options are grayed out then you might have to switch input modes; change options; switch back; option settings will remain.

The firmware upgrade has to do with delays that occur when switching input modes or source material and a bug switching to/from interlaced/progressive sources.

The bulb flicker (low power/high power) has an effect on the picture but would not blank it out completely.

If you're a JP1 remote control user there are upgrades available with some additional commands that are not present on the original remote or on the top panel (nothing very significant however).

Those are HUGE threads over at AVSForum which hold the unofficial support forum for this PJ. They are worth reading but can be intimidating for the new user.

6. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson
    Thanks, Steve! [​IMG] I was able to adjust my sync threashold and that took care of it. [​IMG]

7. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

FWIW, I had the same problem with my 4800 and adjusting the sync threshold fixed it as well. First came to light when I was watching golf and the camera would follow the ball into the bright sky.