InFocus 4805 + 76"' screen $1,399 at Costco

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Todd Hostettler, Oct 12, 2004.

1. Todd Hostettler

Todd Hostettler Second Unit

Must be an update of their earlier deal.

I've been wating for a reason to come down off the fence on this projector. I think this is it.

2. Paul-D

Paul-D Stunt Coordinator

I think that's a great deal. I found a dealer on the Internet that has the same for 100 buck more. I'd go for it! Where are you located that you have this deal?

3. Todd Hostettler

Todd Hostettler Second Unit

I would assume that any Costco warehouse would have the same deal.

4. Jan H

Jan H Cinematographer

Picked one up at Sam's Club for $1385 plus the free screen. Got six months no payments, no interest on their credit card. These things are going to set new sales records in the history of projectors. I took it in to school yesterday to show my 9th graders 'Romeo and Juliet.' One girl said her dad had just bought it and a boy asked me (I kid you not) if it was the SP-4805. I said it was and he said 'Well, it's not great for X-Box, but it's supposed to be awesome for DVD's!' Needless to say, it was.

5. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    So why is it not great for XBox? I hope he didn't think that because of a poor review in the Official XBox Magazine that said it doesn't display 720P. I emailed the reviewer of that article and he insisted it couldn't do it. Then I sent him a screenshot of my projector displaying 720P with Tony Hawk 4. He didn't reply back and there was no correction in the subsequent issue. That "journalist" just lost major points in my eyes. Ryan McCaffrey. Remember him as a guy who at the least can't admit when he's wrong.

6. Jan H

Jan H Cinematographer

To be honest, Cameron, the kid had a gaming magazine (I really don't know which one) and he said it rated the 4805 a 7.5 (presumably out of 10) for gaming. Which is not horrible, I suppose. In any case, I'm only going to be using the unit for DVD's, at least in the near term. The point is, reasonably-priced, high-quality projectors like the 4805 have now hit the warehouses, for better or worse, and I predict this unit will move like no projector before it. It may well be that the big boxes have seen their best days.

7. Cameron Yee

Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    That sounds like the same review. The only reason the rating was low was because of its supposed inability to display 720p through component (the reviewer was under the impression it could only display 720p through DVI). It irks me, not because I think InFocus will lose any sales, but that 1) the information is inaccurate and 2) the magazine doesn't even make a correction when a mistake is pointed out. I was nice about it too (unlike my current attitude)! Oh well. Rant over. Congrats on a great machine.

8. Cameron Yee

Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    Projectors really are a "think outside the box" device. I'm not sure how many people will catch onto it. I think there's still a psychological component that having a big box means you're getting more. And not all rooms are conducive to front projection.

9. Scott L

Scott L Producer

hehe don't worry cam, that sort of misinformation ticks me off too! I'm pretty sure the gaming mags are more popular than the theater ones and if anything that weak article is the only info the uneducated masses will get. [​IMG]

Anyways.. back to the deal. Sort of makes me wish I waited (though I still got the projector by itself cheaper) but I'm curious what screen they're including with it.

10. ChrisRuh

ChrisRuh Stunt Coordinator

I'm with you guys on this one. I just found (and immediately bought) one of the last remaining original X1 projectors from CC for $799. Bought a 92" High Contrast Matte White Deluxe Screen (Da Lite) and two 35' cables and my total cost was well under $1100. I laugh when I go to the local store and see people considering forking over $3000+ for a 51" screen.

11. Joseph Giacomo

Yep I have a subscription to the X-Box mag and read that and it seemed pretty retarded if you ask me. Oh well. Won't stop me from buying one soon!

12. Paul-D

Paul-D Stunt Coordinator

Back to the actual topic of this thread...where in Costco did you find this projector and screen? Is it with the other tv's and stuff? I'm going to look at my Costco today.

13. Cameron Yee

Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    My CostCo has the projectors by the TVs. The display ain't all that impressive to be honest, so I could understand why the average shopper wouldn't get on board. With the warehouse lights and placement too close to the projection surface it's not exactly showing off anything. And right around the corner is a massive DLP set running an HD source, which is pretty "Wow!" So is the price at over $3500!

14. Mike Boniferro

Mike Boniferro Second Unit

Just got back from Costco, and it looks like Canadian Costco's aren't running this package. I did check out this projector at an HT shop in town here today, and I am very impressed. For the price, I could not believe the PQ I was seeing!

15. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    It's too bad the screen is so small.

16. Chip Z

Chip Z Auditioning

Another great thing about the Costco deal is their return policy. I picked up the 4805 last month just to make sure that front projection was right for me. Tried it out for a while and returned it 30 days later. No questions asked. Great way to try it out.

I loved it. Am buying the Z2 for some other reasons, but a great projector.

Chip

17. Scott L

Scott L Producer

76" actually ain't that bad. I first had mine at 80" but I saw SDE from the way my basement is setup, moved the pj closer for around 75" and it looked better. It's still pretty huge too. D

18. Paul-D

Paul-D Stunt Coordinator

I don't know why people are complaining about size. As far as I know there are only 1 or 2 "big screen" tv's that are over 72" If you're wanting a projector for a bigger screen, than get a bigger screen. Shopathometv.com has the 4805 with a 106" Draper screen for a great price. At least I think it's a great price. I just don't have the room for a 106" screen. I'd rather go with a little bit smaller screen for now, than upgrade the screen later.

Just my 2 cents

19. Cameron Yee

Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    The largest I can go is around a 76", and that's only for special occasions because it makes the room impractical for other things. Which is really one of the beauties of projectors - size it however you want, whenever you want!

20. Robbie R

Robbie R Stunt Coordinator

Mike

Would you happen to have the name or phone number for the store in london? I live in Mississauga and can not find a dealer that has a 4805 on display. I would be willing to drive to london to have a look. Do you know how much they want for one.

Any info would be great [​IMG]

Thanks

Rob