What's new

Info or comments on a Sharp PG-C30XU LCD Projector? (1 Viewer)

Mike Wegimont

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone...Anyone?

Does anyone have ANYTHING to say about this projector? Do the specs make it seem worthwile?

Thanks,

Mike

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
If you can get a really really good price on it.... go for it! Just make sure that it doesn't have too many dead pixels on any of the panels and look into how much it will cost you for bulb replacements in the future...

Also the contrast ratio is a little low by todays standards so the blacks will look a little grey...

What do you plan on using as your source... DVD or HTPC DVD?

Mike

Mike Wegimont

Stunt Coordinator
Micheal,

Thanks for the response.

I really planned on using my current Sony 7700 and, most likely, a progressive player in the near future. I was also thinking of buying an HDTV decoder and hooking that up as well.

What would an average contrast ratio be using today's standards?

Thanks,

Mike

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Well I wouldn't call it average but I've seen a lot of new PJ's with a 700:1 contrast (or higher) rating which will give you better blacks. Not a good as a CRT but not too bad either...
Here is a link to one... http://www.thebigpicturedvd.com/bigequipment9.shtml
I checked on the lamp price and they run at around $500.00 USD. I'm sure if you look around you can find them for much less though...
Are you getting any lamps with the purchase and will you be able to check it out first?
Mike

Mike Wegimont

Stunt Coordinator
I actually got to see it in action (briefly.) The person giving, err, selling it to me, showed me the projector info right from the coltrol panel and the lamp said it had 72 hours used. This will be the only lamp I'm getting with the machine.

Can we talk about screens for a minute? What would you recommend? Do I really need to spend between $500-$1000 to get a good screen?

Thanks,

Mike

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Can we talk about screens for a minute? What would you recommend? Do I really need to spend between $500-$1000 to get a good screen?
No you don't! I've built a 4'6" x 8' screen with blackout cloth material that I picked up at Fabricland. I'm getting an excellent image and I haven't even painted it yet! I built the frame and put it all together for around $30.00 CDN. I plan on buying some ScreenGoo from Ken (KBK), he frequents the http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/ and has made a paint that you can use right out of the can. He has also designed different paints for CRT and LCD projectors, i'ts a little pricey ($100.00 USD a litre, more than enough for my screen) but I've seen it in use against a Stewart screen and it MORE than held it's own!
The Total cost of my screen with the paint will be under $200.00 CDN.

Users who are viewing this thread