1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Info or comments on a Sharp PG-C30XU LCD Projector?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Wegimont, Dec 5, 2001.

1. Mike Wegimont

Mike Wegimont Stunt Coordinator

Any comments on this LCD projector would be much appreciated. I have a chance to get one for a REALLY, REALLY good price..
    How will it work for HT? Would I get good results calibrating it with Avia?
    Here is the link to the specs:
    http://www.sharp-usa.com/products/Mo...61,214,00.html
    Thanks in advance for any help or advice.
    Mike

2. Mike Wegimont

Anyone...Anyone?

Does anyone have ANYTHING to say about this projector? Do the specs make it seem worthwile?

Thanks,

Mike

3. Micheal

Micheal Screenwriter

If you can get a really really good price on it.... go for it! Just make sure that it doesn't have too many dead pixels on any of the panels and look into how much it will cost you for bulb replacements in the future...

Also the contrast ratio is a little low by todays standards so the blacks will look a little grey...

What do you plan on using as your source... DVD or HTPC DVD?

Mike

4. Mike Wegimont

Micheal,

Thanks for the response.

I really planned on using my current Sony 7700 and, most likely, a progressive player in the near future. I was also thinking of buying an HDTV decoder and hooking that up as well.

What would an average contrast ratio be using today's standards?

Thanks,

Mike

5. Micheal

Micheal Screenwriter

Well I wouldn't call it average but I've seen a lot of new PJ's with a 700:1 contrast (or higher) rating which will give you better blacks. Not a good as a CRT but not too bad either...
    Here is a link to one... http://www.thebigpicturedvd.com/bigequipment9.shtml
    I checked on the lamp price and they run at around $500.00 USD. I'm sure if you look around you can find them for much less though...
    Are you getting any lamps with the purchase and will you be able to check it out first?
    Mike

6. Mike Wegimont

I actually got to see it in action (briefly.) The person giving, err, selling it to me, showed me the projector info right from the coltrol panel and the lamp said it had 72 hours used. This will be the only lamp I'm getting with the machine.

Can we talk about screens for a minute? What would you recommend? Do I really need to spend between $500-$1000 to get a good screen?

Thanks,

Mike

7. Micheal

Micheal Screenwriter

8. Mike Wegimont

Might be a dumb question, but what exactly is blackout cloth and what does it do?

Thanks,

Mike