What's new

Info on Rotel RCD 02 (1 Viewer)

Yoon Lee

Stunt Coordinator
There is a new CD player RCD-02 which seems to replace RCD-961. Anyone with information on RCD-02, or better yet comparison between the two?

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Yoon, Hi-Fi Choice has a write-up of the RCD-02 in its August issue (Meridian DVD-Audio on the cover). Have you seen it? Hi-Fi Choice refers to the '02 as a replacement for the '961. Included are reviews of an RA-02 stereo integrated amp and RT-02 tuner as well. All three components are silver and look like they are part of a mini system in that they stack well together and look to share the same small footprint.

Do you know if the RCD-02 will be marketed in the US? I haven't heard anything yet. If it is, I wonder if it be black here. Anyway, Hi-Fi Choice gave it four stars out of five. Here is an excerpt of their review:

Although the acid test will come only when we put it up against other like-price models (see next month's group test), it is clear from its performance with the matching RA-02 amp and Mission m51 speakers that it sounds crisp and clear and that it has good timing. Here is a happy example of a player that is capable of keeping several balls in the air at once. Complex, large-scale musical events -- orchestral recordings for example -- are handled without any one performer or section dominating, and with subtle, low-level ambient detail and background instruments remaining audible in the mêlée. At times there's a hint of edginess that is responsible for an exaggerated sense of detail, a kind of false highlighting that is endemic with CD. But overall the RCD-02 is a distinguished addition to the sub-£500 CD player class.
According to Hi-Fi Choice, the RCD-02 sells for £375.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Yoon, I just visited rotel.com which is Rotel's US web site, and found the '02 CD player listed. The '961 is no longer listed. In fact, the only other player listed is the rather new '1070. Here is the link to their CD players:
http://www.rotel.com/CDPlayers/index.htm
So, I guess the '02 is or will be available in the US.

Yoon Lee

Stunt Coordinator
RCD-02 IS in the US. I saw it at the dealer. Thing is that I just bought my RCD-961 and wondering if I should return this and get RCD-02 instead. While I like silver color, I don't mind black either. Only if RCD-02 is better in terms of sound, it becomes another matter.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Yoon, sure, the sound is the most important thing. I commented about the color just as a curiosity thing. Anyway, if you have the ability to return the '961, give the '02 a listen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks