What's new

Info on Projectors (1 Viewer)

RichardJB

Stunt Coordinator
I am thinking about a projector for my new house but I have read that its not too good of an idea for normal HDTV viewing for extended periods of time. Any thoughts?
I would be using it as my main TV also and we have it on for about 12-13 hours a day. Thank you

Mike Boniferro

Second Unit
The only downside of using a projector that much is the amount of bulbs you will go through. At the high end, you will get about 3000 hours per bulb at about $400 replacement cost. at 12 hours per day, you are looking at about 8 months per bulb.

Also, will your room be light controlled?

BridgetJZ

Second Unit
OUCH. $400 a bulb. Why so much?? I was also thinking about buying a projector, but i think that i'd put it in the basement and only use it for football games and movies.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
12-13 hours a day? WO!!!!!!!!!!! I would not even consider buying a projector with that amount of usage. We use a 32" set for normal B.S. programming.
I never heard of a problem watching HDTV for extended periods of time, that sounds ridiculous. I have the X1 projector and use it for 90% DVD's and 10% HDTV. The bulb price depends on which projector you have. My bulb is priced at $275, some are more and some are less. Mine is rated for up to 4000 hours. I'll probably upgrade the projector before I need to buy a bulb.

Mike Boniferro

Second Unit
Yes I was quoting average price in CDN $'s for the bulb, sorry.

I just installed my 4805 tonight, and I will be enjoying it for movies, sports and the occasional hd show... but I'm talking an average of about 1 - 1.5 hours per day so the expensive bulb really means nothing when you're talking about 20 or 30 cents per movie!

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
There are, of course, CRT front projectors that can make 10,000 hours on a set of tubes, sometimes even more. This is assuming that you don't boost the contrast and brightness too high. But, I'd say that if your using your display that many hours per day, I'd get some other sort of set for general viewing and save the projector for dvds, HD, etc.

BridgetJZ

Second Unit
Great info, thanks. i will be taking all of these things into consideration when i buy my projector.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks