info on DVI

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Wayde_R, Aug 25, 2005.

1. Wayde_R

Wayde_R Stunt Coordinator

Hi, I didn't know where a cable standard question should go in these forums, I hope I chose wisely.

My question for any of you Gurudinal ones is about the Dvi standard. Some of you might just be fans of the industry (as I am) and don't consider yourself a guru at all, I'd like to hear you views too.

About DVI I have a few assumptions that I think are wrong or need to be challenged, I'd like a reality check.

-DVI and HDMI at one time actually "competed" with each other before, as it seems today, HDMI is the way of the future. I think it's not so simple that HDMI came along and simply replaced DVI, I thought there might have been a bit of question as to which one was going to come out with industry support.

- DVI-I was more supported in the computer industry. DVI-D was used more for Home Theater. THis is probably wrong, it's never so simple is it. I know there are even more DVI variations out there too. Is there a "formula" for the use of one or the other DVI standard? IE, DVI-I was used for PC-monitors/CRT, DVI-D was used more for LCD monitors... or something like that?

- What is the data transfer rate of DVI? Is there a difference between transfer rates between the DVI flavors? I've searched around for these types of stats on the web and have thus far been unsucessful. I'll get back w/ this thread if I find more on this.

Thanks for your time, info, opinions etc

2. Mort Corey

Mort Corey Supporting Actor

If you thought you were confused now....just wait. [​IMG]
    http://news.com.com/New+display+inte...l?tag=nefd.pop

IIRC, HDMI does have the ability to utilize greater transfer rates than DVI and appears to be gaining market acceptance. Not 100% ironed out yet, but close.

Mort

3. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

DVI is on the way out as it has become antiquated thanks to HDMI. Granted we have DVI to HDMI connectors, but the market is going towards HDMI, all supported by HD-DVD and Blue-Ray. If you inquiring about the quality to determine which way to go, stick with HDMI.

4. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

Just read the article, boy when will it end. As soon as they get something going it's time to change.

5. Wayde_R

Wayde_R Stunt Coordinator

I just read the article too. Interesting, I never thought we'd need something that fast that transfers data back and forth like the new vesa.

6. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

No different flavors, there's just the one digital one, I forget the exact number. I think the bandwidth is like 165mhz. single link supports well out to 1080p 60hz.