Info on Cablevision HD PVR?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Doug_B, Jan 9, 2005.

1. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

Received a Cablevision flyer in the mail recently advertizing a new Hi-Def PVR capability. Cost is $10 extra per month. Threw away the card, but I'm pretty sure it's implemented with a combo cable / PVR box, which would be nice for me as I do not want to use an extra shelf for a stand-alone PVR. I'm happy with the amount of HD that Cablevision now offers, and just about all the TV programming I watch now happens to be in HD (don't watch a lot of TV). Anyone know about the service or the equipment they supply? Any first hand experience? Didn't find any info on their web site.

Thanks.

Doug

2. Daniel Kikin

Daniel Kikin Screenwriter

Definitely go for it Doug, I've had for a month, and although there are a few bugs being worked out, the HD playback looks amazing and makes it all worth it. The SA8300HD box also changes channels quicker than the SA4200HD and also displays the video resolution on the display of the box.

Also, a good place to check out is the Cablevision_Digital Yahoo! Group, a tech guy from Cablevision, Wilt Hildenbrand is kind enough to answer questions and also helps out with people who have had customer service problems.

3. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

Daniel,

Thank you for the information.

Doug

4. Daniel Kikin

You're welcome Doug, enjoy it if you go for it!

5. edJohn

edJohn Auditioning

I have had the SA8300HD DVR for a little over a week definitely worth the little extra to be able to record HD. Cable has a little more to go to make it an equal of TIVO. For a first effort it is a good job. Any rumors if they are also going to release home networking of the cable boxes.

6. Daniel Kikin

I haven't heard anything about home networking from Cablevision anytime soon but the SA8300HD has the capability for it. I would guess that once they work out all the quirks on the box that they might look at that as the next step.

7. Steven Simon

Steven Simon Producer

Steven Simon
    Cablevision here in Central Jersey has it. We just got ours. It works well, and lets you record 2 shows and watch a live third.... Not as good as Tivo, but it works well..

8. edJohn

edJohn Auditioning

Now that Cablevision has given us a taste of the HD DVR they should follow it up shortly with the SA 8300HD DVR MR. Just visit the Scientific Atlanta website under consumer products. Cable vision just responded but gave so idea as to time of release. Was able to enjoy Cablevisions technology. Thirdwatch HD program was broadcast in 16:9 format on a 4:3 transmission screen. All other HD Channels were ok. I guess it will be a long while before they attempt the Multi room DVR.

9. Daniel Kikin

Slight correction, it's dual-tuner so you can watch one show and record another, or record two shows and watch a third pre-recorded show, although it would be nice to be able to watch a live show while recording two others...