What's new

Info on building your own Screen (1 Viewer)

Christopher_Ham

Stunt Coordinator
I am purchasing a Sony Cineza hsl-10 projector and can't decide on a screen. I mainly watch at night with no ambient light, and sometimes during the day (I can shut all the shutters and have a pretty dark room). I have read where a couple of guys have built their own screen. Aside from the financial advantages, is it a good idea, is the picture quality good?

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
If done right, you can get a result that would match a commercial screen. The most popular method is blackout fabric stretched over a diy frame. I used another method.

The HS10 would work well with either a light gray, silver or white screen. Each will affect the colours and/or contrast ratio of the image. I settled with a silver screen. Click the url below for more info on this and also do a search in the displays area and the diy/advanced area for "diy screen"

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
I'm in the process of finishing up my 2nd screen. Personally, I feel that it is comparable to most mid-tier screens. Obviously it would cost a lot of $$$ and time to get something comparable with a 4-way automasking Stewart screen. However, building your own basic screen is not too difficult. Below is my 16x9 screen (for a CRT):

- start with a 8'x5' sheet of melamine (I plan on painting it down the road). Plywood and gatorfoam are other popular materials.
- Cover the face with blackout curtain (melamine is too reflective). Alternatively, paint the wood (color depends on PJ type).
- Buy 4 2x4s and cover them in black material (Velvet=$$$, Duvetyne tape=$$, paint=$)
- Mount the 2x4s around the edge (ensuring proper screen shape)
- Attach mounting system on the back (I used a french cleat and attached the screen to the front wall).

Christopher_Ham

Stunt Coordinator
Wouldn't plywood be too coarse of a material to project on?I have heard of some using formica, anyone else use this?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks