Info on building your own Screen

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Christopher_Ham, Sep 24, 2003.

1. Christopher_Ham

Christopher_Ham Stunt Coordinator

I am purchasing a Sony Cineza hsl-10 projector and can't decide on a screen. I mainly watch at night with no ambient light, and sometimes during the day (I can shut all the shutters and have a pretty dark room). I have read where a couple of guys have built their own screen. Aside from the financial advantages, is it a good idea, is the picture quality good?

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    If done right, you can get a result that would match a commercial screen. The most popular method is blackout fabric stretched over a diy frame. I used another method.

The HS10 would work well with either a light gray, silver or white screen. Each will affect the colours and/or contrast ratio of the image. I settled with a silver screen. Click the url below for more info on this and also do a search in the displays area and the diy/advanced area for "diy screen"

3. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    I'm in the process of finishing up my 2nd screen. Personally, I feel that it is comparable to most mid-tier screens. Obviously it would cost a lot of $$$ and time to get something comparable with a 4-way automasking Stewart screen. However, building your own basic screen is not too difficult. Below is my 16x9 screen (for a CRT):

- start with a 8'x5' sheet of melamine (I plan on painting it down the road). Plywood and gatorfoam are other popular materials.
    - Cover the face with blackout curtain (melamine is too reflective). Alternatively, paint the wood (color depends on PJ type).
    - Buy 4 2x4s and cover them in black material (Velvet=$$$, Duvetyne tape=$$, paint=$)
    - Mount the 2x4s around the edge (ensuring proper screen shape)
    - Attach mounting system on the back (I used a french cleat and attached the screen to the front wall).

4. Christopher_Ham

Christopher_Ham Stunt Coordinator

Wouldn't plywood be too coarse of a material to project on?I have heard of some using formica, anyone else use this?