Info on 20 amp circuits

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ted Robinson, Nov 7, 2001.

1. Ted Robinson

Ted Robinson Extra

Hi I am looking for a good website or book that will tell me about installing dedicated 20amp circuits in my home theater. I have never really done anything like this, so the simpler the better [​IMG]
    Thanks in advance,
    Ted
    ------------------
    Ted Robinson

2. Tom Boucher

Tom Boucher Second Unit

I'm sure your local library has the time/life home repair book section. find the one on electrical stuff. Sure that's the best source.
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection

3. Ron Hanson

Ron Hanson Agent

Well, it is pretty simple. Use 12gauge wire minimum, use a 20amp outlet, use a 20amp breaker.
    ------------------
    Ron Hanson
    Our dedicated theater page

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    If you strike out at the library, you can find any number of books on residential electric subjects at your local hardware store.
    Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt
    ------------------
    My Equipment List

5. RossB

RossB Extra

Although you can use a dedicated 20 amp breaker for your entertainment system it is unlikely any single component will use 20 amps. Instead what you might consider is a couple of 15 amp breakers...each dedicated to a single outlet. To do this you need to make sure that you have sufficient room on your electrical panel. Purchase a tandem breaker (make sure you get the correct brand) and some 14/3 electrical wire. Normally you but 14/2 but 14/3 is good for two runs, and is less than two runs of 14/2.
    For my system I have 3-15 amp breakers each running a single plug which is sufficient for 6 components. For the amp and RPTV I have a single 15 amp breaker for each. To do this you can break the tab between the two plugs, and you have a dedicated breaker per. It is a bit of overkill but I have lots of room for expansion. You are thinking ... thats alot of breakers...which is true but I added a new panel for my home theater and computer so I have lots of room.
    There are manyreason why you want to do this .. but enough said

6. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

However, if you ever go for a more powerful amp or series of mono block amps, they may indeed need one or two dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    The ATI 2505, Cinepro, Theta Dreadnaught and their new monoblocks, etc. all come to mind. They need da juice! [​IMG]
    Dan
    ------------------
    Stop HDCP and 5C-- Your rights are at risk!

7. Sam C

Sam C Stunt Coordinator

Here's a link that will get you started without the fear of shocking yourself (Although I know someone who's an electrician who claims you're not a real electrician unless you get shocked once in awhile ... Then he'll go ahead and shock himself ... I never found him to be real bright)
    Anyhow ... Here you go ... http://www.howstuffworks.com/framed....iringpage.com/
    ------------------
    "I will drop-kick those f#$%ing dogs if they come near me."
    Frank T.J. Mackey ... Magnolia