Info about Bose

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by william pender, Oct 9, 2003.

1. william pender

william pender Auditioning

Hi everyone. Can you guys let me know any info/facts on why I should not buy Bose speakers. Thanks.

2. Nhan_H

Nhan_H Second Unit

I think if you do a search for Blose (errrr, I mean Bose), you'd find the answers you're looking for.

3. Joe Tilley

Joe Tilley Supporting Actor

Honestly, would you buy a stock 84 Chevette for 40grand just because someone made you think it was better through the power of advertising. Or would you rather spend the same cash on a new Corvette that will actley perform.
    Bose has maid a name for there self & 15,20 years ago they were the stink. But Bose thinks that they can market anything & sell it. Truthfully I really think if Bose sold a brown bag with some dog poo inside, but it had that trusty Bose badge on it people would be in line for it no matter how bad it smelled like shit.
    I guess all I'm saying is, Take the test drive & tell the sales man to shut up or stand on the side of the road. Don't let people feed you with the crap that they are the best. There is much better to be had for the same price & many times much lower.

4. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

5. Rick Ewing

Rick Ewing Agent

Recently at a local Tweeter, I was asking one of the reps I know how many people buy the Bose Lifestyle system.

Rep: We don't sell the Bose system.

Me: What? You've got one right in the front of the store?!?

Rep: Oh, I meant we carry the product, but none of us reps actually try to sell it to anyone. We have our reputations to think of. And Bose spiffs us twice what other manufacturers do. The only Bose systems we sell are people who walk in the door and have their mind already made up.

Food for thought....

6. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

Rick that is a very good point. Bose isn't a bad system either, but they just price there products too high for what there performance is... think about it.

First of all you have there so called "cubes" or "diamonds" whatever they call those things that are supposed to be speakers. They are so small they don't produce much mid-range and there is no tweeter, so out the door goes the high frequencies. So you now know that you don't get much below about 500Hz, and you don't really get anything about 17KHz. (levels should be 20Hz - 22KHz, approx).

Now lets take there "Actoustimass" module. Even bose will tell you it's not a subwoofer. Now while this module isn't bad for music, it's the Home Theater point that lacks. It is made out of something like 3, 6" drivers. Now think about it, most bookshelves include 6" drivers and they don't usually hit below 40Hz. (20Hz-25Hz is average for a real subwoofer). So you now know that this acoustimass module won't play much lower than 40Hz and it picks up the higher frequencies as well, it picks up to about 250Hz.

What does this all mean? Well, the cubes they have are lacking a tweeter (so no high frequencies are reciever), they are too small to pick up any mid-range, so out the door goes anything below 500Hz. Now the Acoustimass Module, it has 6" drivers where it really should have an 8" or bigger driver to get true sub frequencies, and unlike all other subwoofers that will make non-directional sound, you can actually tell where the bass is coming from.

A typical subwoofer will usually start maybe around 80Hz and go all the way to 20-30Hz. At about 100Hz or so frequencies become non-directional but the Acoustimass module goes from 40Hz (approx) to all the way up to 250Hz. So now that big thing you got lying on the floor is an oversized bookshelf speaker making directional sound, which isn't what you want. Go ahead and listen to the bose in any store and then compare it. You will notice any other subwoofer (Polk, Klipsch, SVS, Paradigm, etc) will all make the entire room feel like it's exploding, while the bose will simply make the front of the room (or wherever the module is placed) shake, and you can actually tell it's coming from there.

That's basically a defined term of why it sucks. Not to mention that when you look at there $1500 systems they are usually built for about $100. The speakers in there cubes can be found at RadioShack for about $10 and the speakers in the Acoustimass module the same.

Hope this helps. If you want to look at some real HT equipment, or even good stereo equpment I recommend Klipsch... I use to be a Bose drone too, until about 2 yrs. ago.

7. Mat_M

Mat_M Stunt Coordinator

8. Alan Pummill

Alan Pummill Screenwriter

I think William has been educated!! What say you, William?