1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

influx of gear = DIY 6.1 questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kieran Coghlan, Mar 7, 2002.

1. Kieran Coghlan

Kieran Coghlan Second Unit

First not sure if this belongs in the DIY forum or not... except that it has to do with questions on setting up a DIY 6.1 system... Moderators, move this thread if necessary, just let me know where it goes! [​IMG]
    Anyway, my buddy Dan, who used to live in Seattle has moved back to CA, and is renting my second room from me. Except for our speakers, Dan and I have identical HT's: same TV (Tosh TW40H80), same dvd player (sony dvp-s7700), same Yamaha receiver (RX-V995). Where Dan out-did me was in the speaker department. His 5.1+ system consists of the following:
    2 Sound Dynamics RTS-P100's hybrid powered towers for front mains
    (25Hz-25kHz +/- 3dB)
    2 Sound Dynamics RTS-9's towers for rear/surrounds
    (34Hz-20KHz +/- 3dB)
    1 Sound Dynamics RTS-C2 center channel
    (47Hz-20kHz +/- 3dB)
    1 Sound Dynamics RTS-1000 10"/100W subwoofer
    (28Hz-100Hz +0,-3dB) this is identical to the Energy 10" sub.
    Also, he has
    2 Sound Dynamics RTS-RS-1 bipoles (formerly his surrounds now extra)
    (70Hz-20kHz +/- 3dB)
    Pictures and specs can be seen on the SD web site:
    HERE
    So with all this extra gear, we have enough speakers and receivers to set up a nice DIY matrix 6.1 system, we hope.
    Anyway, here's the plan:
    Obviously we are going to use his speakers for the HT. (My speakers are the Energy Take5 + ES-8 system). We will use one of the two receivers to drive the rear/surround speakers in a 6.1 matrix es/ex setup. We'll use one of his spare bipolar speakers as the center surround speaker. Seems to me that a bipolar speaker would be ideal in a 6.1 configuration, since we can't do (no space and not enough amp'ed channels) a 7.1 setup.
    I am a little curious about using the pro-logic decoder of the extra Yamaha 995 receiver for matrix 6.1 decoding. What about the sound that the "ES/EX" Yamaha wants to send to it's "rear" speakers (that don't exist?) Will this sound just be lost? Will any sound even be extracted by the DPL decoder for these non-existant rears (since, theoretically, there shouldn't be much out of phase information in the SR and SL channels of a DD or DTS 5.1 mix)? Should I hook up the extra dipolar speaker to one of the surround outputs of the es/ex yammie? (only one would be needed since surround info from dpl is mono.) Where would this speaker be placed?
    I'm pretty sure that the 995 receiver does NOT have a "Dolby3" mode. The only matrix decoding it has is Dolby Pro Logic. Will the strong center channel steering of DPL be too much for a ex/es matrix 6.1 sound track?
    Also, how should we balance the levels?
    Anyway, Dan and I have a lot of fun tinkering to do in the next several days. Should be fun. Any suggestions or ideas are very welcome.

2. Harry Lincoln

Harry Lincoln Stunt Coordinator

I found the best way to calibrate a system like this is to first calibrate it using VE/AVIA to get the levels balanced between the L/C/R/SR/SL speakers, and then use the THX optimizer on the TPM dvd to balance the surround back channel to the other rear channels. There arent any other setup discs that I know of that have EX/ES test tones.

Im not sure about the signal from the rear channel on the EX/ES amp, connect a speaker to it and see how much information is present in that channel, then decide for yourself.

Harry.