What's new

INFINITY vs POLK (1 Viewer)

RobL

Grip
Now scrap my previous post on POLK RTi-70s

After checking out and comparing live in store, I am now leaning towards RTi150s or Infinity Alpha 50s, both around 1500 CDN dollars for a pair.

Now, I am still heavily in love with the CSi-40s.

So should I get the polks...or Infinity?

Mark Russ

Second Unit
Rob, what do YOUR ears like better between the two? To ME (and I know that there will probably be others who strongly disagree, yet others still who may actually agree with me), I'd say that in general, Infinity is better for music, Polks for movies between the two. Infinity has better drivers, Polk better cabinets. Listen to them both and you decide for yourself. It should be easy to compare them in a circuit city.

TylerZ

Stunt Coordinator
If you're sold on the CSi-40 then go with the Polks. Although they're both good speakers you just wont get a good blend of sound across the front (timbre match) with the mismatch if you go with the Infinities. If you like the Infifities that much better I would suggest an Infinity center to sonically match.

mofet_n

Grip
Hey Rob. My current set up is 2 rti70, csi40 and r50 (back). I wanted to go for the infinity, but man, the csi40 is the best center channel future shop and cc carry. Just by looking at the size, shape and the construction is what got me hooked. The sound is just perfect. Go for the 150s, they are just great. I work for Future shop, and I spent all my time listening to all the speakers, and for me, polk is the best for the price. I hope you make the right choice.

paulBAW

Stunt Coordinator
I personally hate the entire Polk R series of speakers. I think they sound washed out and muddy. BUT, I do like the LSi line of speakers. And if you live in the GTA of ontario. Check out G&G electronics. They sell the entire LSi lineup of polks, and even the LSi9 bookshelves will destroy the Rti70's, even the 150's in terms of midrange and the tweeter differences are laughable. The LSi9's are a medium sized bookshelve speaker which retail for $1499.99 cdn but can be had at G&G for much less. Last time I was in there they were selling them for $900.00 and even then I kinda got the feeling they might go lower. They also sell the LSi15 floorstanding speakers, they retail for $2599.99 CDN but can be had for about $1800 cdn. They WILL DESTROY both the infinity's and Polk Audio R series hands down. It's not even a contest.

Outside of the LSi's I'd consider Paradigm or even PSB before Polk Audio's. The Paradigm Monitor 7's to me anyways are a much nicer speaker then the Polk Audio RTi70's. And can be had for cheaper too. I just bought LSi9's after listening to them along with Studio 40's, Energy Veritas 2.1 and PSB Stratus Mini's. They held up quite well, in fact if they didn't say Polk Audio on them I'm sure I would have dropped the money right there, but for some reason I associate Polk Audio with Big Box locational speakers, and I'm an audio snob I guess. If your spending that amount of money I'm sure you can do much better then either brands you've heard. Sounds like you've been to a Future Shop and only a future shop. I can't honestly believe you've listend to PSB's, Paradigms, Energy's and still thought the Infinity's and Polk R series held up the best. You could grab Paradigm Studio 60's for that money, and be thrilled.

If you do check out the LSi Polk's make sure your receiver can handle 4ohm loads. Polk will tell you its acutally a 6ohm load that dips into 4 but I know of some people having problems on some receivers. Make sure the amp/receiver has no problems with 4ohm loads and has lots of current.

Paul Seyfarth

Stunt Coordinator
I would second the LSi series, they just sound amazing. The Polk RTi are better than the older series, but the LSi is just above them all. One other thing though the RT's arn't that great for music(still sound quite good), they are great on movies. I am currently in the process of upgrading all my speakers to the LSI's.

Jeff-Watson

Stunt Coordinator
It is all a matter of opinion and personal taste. I have auditioned every speaker listed here and for me the RTI70's were the best choice. I love the sound of the LSI series but you are talking quite a bit more money and better electronics to properly power them. I don't agree that the Lsi series "destroy" the RTI sound. That is a drastic statement but with the new tweeter in the Lsi's they do have a smoother response. From experience I can say you will not be disappointed with the RTI70. Great speaker for the price. Remember that it is your ear that makes the final decision though. Opinions cease to matter when you are testing all of your options yourself. Void buyers remorse and but what sounds the best to you and you can't go wrong.:)

RobL

Grip
So i guess basically the verdict is: if got the money, LSI....if not, RTi or Paradigms?

paulBAW

Stunt Coordinator
This is my opinion and my opinion only, the POLK RTi's sound like music is coming from a box when I listen to them. When I have listened to Movies on them, they sound like somebody threw a wet blanket on them in comparison to the LSi's. I think the difference is enourmous. But then again so is the price. The bookshelve LSi9 retails for $500 more CDN then the RTi70, the comparison isn't exactly fair. The LSi15 floorstanding speakers are more then 2X the price of the Rti70's and 40lbs heavier as a combo. The differences to my ears were huge. The LSi is a 4ohm speaker that requires better electronics to run them, and your only as good as the source moving up the chain. But I will have to agree to disagree in this instance.

The LSi to me is like people comparing the C line of Energy's to the Veritas. Or a paradigm Mini Monitor to a Studio 20. I think the difference is that drastic. It is a totally different design, and sound. The LSi has a much wider soundstage, yet are still very accurate. The ring radiator tweeter gives the speaker an open air feel that I have not heard in a Polk product before. I would never point fingers at somebody for liking any speaker, but I don't understand how one can say the differences aren't that drastic. In the end I agree with Jeff, let your ears do the decision making. At least you know you have more options now.

RobL

Grip
thank you all for your help, I'm gonna go mad speaker hunting in the coming weeks. Afterall, i have almost 2 months before i make a purchase. ^^

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
RobL: Here's an Alpha center Circuit City doesn't seem to sell, the Alpha 37C. There is a very good chance I will be buying this large model for my dvd-audio all-full-range speaker system. And thankfully, it comes in cherry & beechwood choices, and not just depressing black.

And Rob: make sure you buy what YOU think sounds good.

LJ

TylerZ

Stunt Coordinator
RobL,
Don't think of it as going mad, think of it as having fun. If you make it a chore then it will be. If you think of it as fun, then it will be. Whatever the case, just remember that you're making an investment in something that hopefully you will be enjoying for years, or until that dreaded 'upgrade bug' bites you. Take your time, trust your ears, have fun!

RobL

Grip
haha, my mad = fun! no doubt about that. I'll be thoroughly enjoying the various types of sounds presented to my ears...good or bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks