Infinity v JBL

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Chris_C, Mar 24, 2004.

1. Chris_C

Chris_C Agent

Chris
    Hi, I am planning to upgrade my father's system for his birthday in a few months and wonder what people thought of these two cousins. Specifically, the new JBL "E" series and the Infinity entra series. I believe the entra is discontinued. JBL seems quite popular right now. Will be driving the speakers with a HK 325. The majority of the time they will be used for music. The entras can be had at good prices right now but I'm willing to wait.

Thanks

2. Shannon S.

Shannon S. Stunt Coordinator

I own the Infinity Entras and really like them. They have my vote. They were worth it even at full price. The Entra series subs are really nice too.

3. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

The JBL subs are really a good value and I even think that Tom V at SVS suggests them from time to time! The old PSW 112 (?) was my first sub years ago, and did a great job until I upgrade to SVS; sold the JBL to a friend and it is still pounding!
    A thread recently said refurbed JBLs were available at Onecall.com pretty cheap!

4. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

I really like (and own) the JBL Northridge and Northridge E series. That being said, Infinity stuff has always seemed to have a fairly high performance/price ratio (like JBL). Ultimately, you can't go wrong with either.

Since both are "mass market," can you demo something from each company in home with your rig?

5. Zeeshan T

Zeeshan T Agent

I am a fan of both infinity and JBL (both made by Harmon as mentined earlier). I will be purchasing the JBL northridge package soon and i have heard a demo and in my opinion it sounds wonderful. I havent heard the infinity's but i am sure they are great too (i use infinity speakers in my car and they are awesome). And the HK 325 will work wonderful with either one imo.

6. Chris_C

Chris_C Agent

Chris
    Thanks for the replies. I'm leaning towards the Infinity now since prices are quite low now. I have heard the JBL's in a best buy and they sounded good. I think CC stock infinity, I'll have to check it out this weekend.

7. DarrenHo

DarrenHo Stunt Coordinator

i just purchased some infinity primus 150 bookshelf speakers. they're a little on the large size for a bookshelf but damn they sound nice.

8. Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow Supporting Actor

The primus series replaced the entra's. I think they are just as good if not better.

9. John Morton

John Morton Stunt Coordinator

INTERESTING SIDE NOTE: Infinity HPS-1000 subs have a JBL 15" driver with 2 passive radiators, so what does that say about Infinity's opinion of JBL??????? I'd love to compare it to an SVS side by side. The SVS I heard sounded great, but I couldn't say either was better. The good news is you can still get an HPS-1000 on e-bay every once in a while for $400-$700 ($1800 list when new). As for the HPS-500 sub, it's great for entry, BUT IT JUST DIDN'T SHAKE THE SHEETROCK OFF THE WALLS (literally!!!!! Sucks I had to fix that to sell the house, but oh what a joy to listen to).

Personally, I say go with Infinity. I have Infinity RS-5s x4, an Infinity CC-3 center, and an Infinity HPS-1000 sub connected to a Sony STR-DB930 receiver (FOR NOW, I have 2 more RS-5s waiting up for my 7.1 receiver purchase late this year). My dad has the same system except with Infinity RS-4s x4. I don't think there's a better sounding speaker out there for the price.

Also, what ever you decide, don't be afraid to "tweak" with the front grills. I purchased a set of Infinity Overtures, but took them back after installing (bent to match the Overtures) pearl and stitch plastic with transparent cloth on the RS-5s and personally feeling they sounded better than the Overtures did (well, with a good sub too).

10. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

I'd say not much - considering they're owned by the same company. Using drivers like they've done cuts down on R&D costs.

11. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

This is off-topic but I couldn't resist!

DarrenH: don't take this the wrong way but when I read your comment about those "big" Primus 150s I had to chuckle a little.

In the audio times I grew up in, "bookshelf speaker" literally meant any speaker that could fit on a bookshelf.

Like these:

Infinity's 1970s "Q" series and their 1980s "RS" series at Infinity Classics (click on thumbnails; these particular models were sold before Harmon/Kardon bought Infinity in the early 90s)

The JBL L100 and it's pro versions. And IIRC, also before H/K bought them.

Gotta throw in this classic too [​IMG] ...........

The Large Advent That's a 10" woofer in an acoustic-suspension enclosure (no they aren't very efficient but the sound is what matters; later versions up to about 1984 used a 1" parabolic dome tweeter. Each speaker weighed almost 50lbs (here's an old advertisement for it explaining its unique operating characteristics). Note to old farts like me: Advent sold an anniversary replica edition of this speaker in 1994--only about 2500 pairs were made & include numbered series plates. They sold for @$550 a pair at the time & I know this because I used to sell them. [​IMG]

LJ

12. DarrenHo

DarrenHo Stunt Coordinator

lj:
    i guess it all depends on the size of your bookshelf. [​IMG] the infinities are about 50% bigger than the boston hd5s i had before.

13. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

JBL L100 [​IMG]

Yeah, baby!