What's new

Infinity sub...what do you think? (1 Viewer)

Nick L

Second Unit
Hello again. I (think) I have decided to get an Infinity IL100s sub. I have an average sized second of three floor appartment. The equipment I have so far is a Mitsubishi 46809 tv, HK AVR320 receiver, Panasonic RP82 dvd player, Boston Acoutics VRM50's and VRMC center up front and PSB Image 1b's for the rear. Currently I am using a small 8" KLH sub that is crap. I am wondering if anyone has any experience with this sub personally? I read Tom N's review on it and he seemed to like it. I will be using it for 50/50 music/movies so if anyone has used it for music if you could chime in that would be great too. The reason I decided on the ils sub is one: I can get it at a great price($220) two: I have not read any bad reviews on it. and three: It has great performance for the price. I will not be buying the sub for another week or two and just wanted to post here to see what you guys thought. Do you think it would be a good match? Any experiences? Just looking for some good info before I buy(if I can't have it I can at least talk about it right?)

Thanks for any input.

Nick L

CoreyH

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Nick,

I have owned the 120(12" version) of that sub. Unfortunately, the sub developed a problem after the first day of use, and I haven't really used it since (bought an SVS). While it was working, I really enjoyed it. Very tight, and clean sounding. I think it drops off pretty quickly at around 28hz, but it sounds very powerful up until then.

C

RobCar

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Nick,
I'm thinking about getting this sub too. Where'd you see it for $220? I've heard good things about it and am hoping to hear more about its performance for music, since that's what I'll be using it for mostly. Anyone else have any experience with this? Thanks!

Matt

Grip
I have two of the IL120's and I like them. I ended up with two when I found a great deal for a Maple one on UBid (so it matched the rest of the system) and just haven't gotten rid of my black one. As was mentioned, they drop off pretty quick below 30Hz, but they will shake you pretty good.
My 120's seem to blend good with music, so I would give them a thumbs up.
Harmon/Kardon is selling refurbs (with full warranty) on EBay if you are interested in checking that out.
Matt

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
I find the IL100's just as musical as many other expensive subs. A while ago I replaced my Klipsch KSW-12 with the IL100s and it was a great improvement in quality and output. I even bought a few more expensive subs after selling the Infinity that were greater in ouput but still couldn't match the Infinity's sound quality Klipsch LF-10. I find them just as satisfying for musci as the original SVS CS woofers. Buy it, especially if you're getting for $220. If you can stretch your budget a tiny bit more, the IL120's go for a little over $300 on ebay from seller: harmanaudio. It really surprised me at how much more output it gave. You might want to invest in the RABOS kit, it did an excellent job improving the sound in my room.

Ryan.w.d

Auditioning
I auditioned the Infinity's before purchasing my Velodyne's. I personally thought for the price the Velodyne CHT series was a litle more acurate and according to the spec sheet, diped down lower in the frequency range than the Infinitys. I just wished my Velodynes looked as good as the Infinity.

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
I second the recommendation on the RABOS kit. I've got the equivelant of the IL120 in my Interlude 60 powered towers and the RABOS tuning made a fantastic change in the accuracy of the sub.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks