What's new

Infinity Sterling...anyone? (1 Viewer)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I "rescued" a pair of SS2003 from the local resale shop for $5. They need foam surrounds(in the mail), which is why they were $5.

Is there anybody out there that could use them once I'm done with them?

It isn't like I don't want them, but if anybody else has a pair of Sterling with a center and is looking for surrounds...or use these as the main and your current as surrounds...I'll sell them for a decent price...as all I'll have in them is $30-ish and "time" doing the surrounds.

I have not listened to them yet to make sure the Polycell is fine(didn't want to mess up the woofers)...but assuming all checks out...send me some msgs.

If not familiar with the SS2003...two-way 8" woofer(really 7 1/2??). Cabinets are presentable. Scratches and "bare wood" in places, but if I keep them I may just repaint them. They are black,

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
Do you have any Pics of them?? I am not interested but perhaps a Pic of what they look like could be helpful??Sounds like you got a good deal hopefully you can sell them after getting them fixed..

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
There is(was) a listing on Ebay that shows these.Other than a corner or two being "rubbed bare of paint", the cabs are solid. Got the surrounds today (the notice I have to pick them up at the PO). If these had lousy cabinets, I wouldn't have picked them up.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I've bought quite a few Infinity Reference E-L, SL, SS, etc over the years just for the cabinets. I'd replace the worn out drivers with something on sale from PE and they sounded pretty good. I'd sell them to co-workers or at the local flea markets. Very solid cabinets compared to the other consumer brands at the time.There's a local guy that buys up Infinty Cresendo's and parts (at a good price) and refubishes them. They look good as new when he's done.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I'm going to keep these. Two "issues" with them.Infinity saw fit to add a trim ring on these that you basically have to destroy to get to the speaker surrounds.When I removed the remnants of the surround on one, the complete driver was loose. I re-glued the base of the cone to "whatever that is called". They got a workout last night. Threw some aggressive music toward them. The one, initially, had a backside "musical buzz" that I attribute to probably too glue on the underside of the cone. Seems to have gone away.Otherwise, bought the surrounds from a place I never had before. The glue they provide is a runny mess. The glue ran down into the dust cap. Go back to the other company next time as their glue is white and tacky(as in it doesn't run all over the place).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks