What's new

Infinity Speakers (1 Viewer)

ChipD

Grip
I recently demoed the Infinity Alpha 50 speakers along with an Alpha 37C center and Alpha surrounds (don't have the product numbers with me for the surrounds). I thought they sounded great, but I haven't read too much about Infinity. Also, I am just beginning to demo speakers (I'm a first time buyer) so I don't have much to compare them to (I also listened to definitive and klipsch). Any thoughts on Infinity, good or bad? If I like these, what else would I be interested in? I am planning to listen to B&W and NHT too. My price range is about $2000 (for 5.1), and I will listen to music and movies.

Also, does anyone have any recommendations for a sub? The salesman recommended a Sunfire sub (about $1000). This sub was very small and wouldn't take up much space. Any input would help.

Thanks!

Victor Chan

Stunt Coordinator
ChipD,

Infinity isn't a bad brand and they have a pretty decent following, though most of the good speakers I am familiar with from them are at a higher price range and of a previous generation.

Really the only thing you can really do when you are first starting your search is to hear a lot of different speakers and to define what are you looking for in a speaker and what speaker manufacturers or lines provide that kind of sound within your budgetary limits. For examle, Infinitys sound distinctly different from B&Ws which sound different from NHTs... Even an audiophile novice like me could probably pick the speakers out by their sound signature alone.

This may not necessarily be true of the most recent iteration of the Sunfire, but the one I heard cannot play at very low frequencies or very loudly without distortion and becoming boomy. One thing you will learn is that speakers still have to adhere to physical limitations, and a small box subwoofer typically cannot provide extreme bass extension and high output let alone both at very clean levels. If you had to get a small subwoofer, however, I would also look at the REL Q series, Velodyne SPL series, and the Definitive Technology Supercube series.

Have fun auditioning!

Victor

Robert Cowan

Supporting Actor
ill give a personal recommendation for deftech subs. they are very nice. i have their reference flagship and its amazing.

being an audio salesman, i have had a lot of exposure to many different brands, including infinity and b&w. they are two totally different speakers. although infinity is a bit lower end than b&w, infinity has some good points. it can sound VERY nice with good equiptment. it is a nice speaker that can be had for not much money. it all depends on what you want to spend. on the cheap, the infinity system wiht a nice deftech sub (a $550 deftech sub will hold its own with that sunfire, which ive sold too), will be a great system. but, a b&w system with a nice velodyne sub will rock its world, but also your pocket book...

John Robert

Stunt Coordinator
The Infinity Alphas are very nice speakers at their price points. I especially like the Alpha 50's, which have great mids and highs for HT and music. They are found online and B&M, so shop around for the best deal.

The Sunfire sub is a nice piece, but there are other good matches for your speakers at less $. The Hsu VTF-2 and JBL S120PII are a couple of suggestions...

AaronSP

Auditioning
I'm building my new HT around a 5 year old set of Infinity RS speakers, which in their time where about the best bang for the buck speaker around.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks