infinity servo subwoofer given to me need info

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David D. C., Dec 30, 2001.

1. David D. C.

David D. C. Stunt Coordinator

yes it was given to me i pluged it in and nothing happens i do not have a surr recevier but a stero recvier. i was told that my stero rec would not push it that is why it would not work is this true????????????

2. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

You may be able to use your stereo receiver to drive the sub. Couple questions:

1) does the sub have speaker level inputs? These most likely would have binding posts.

2) does your receiver have A + B speaker terminals?

3) is your receiver fairly robust?

If the answers to these questions is yes, you may be able to drive the sub from the "B" speaker terminals.

This all assumes that there is no line level mono or sub output on your receiver. That would be the preferred method to drive it.

However, sometimes the mono output does not deliver enough voltage to drive a particular sub. If this is the case the line level is your next choice. I believe there are also outboard crossovers notably from Paradigm that could be of help.

3. David D. C.

the sub has 4 high level inputs

to low level inputs

no outputs of any kind

a freq range knob and a level knob

ny recevier has no a or bjust left right center and surround

its only a d pro logic rec as well

4. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Are all 4 inputs line level (RCA jacks)? Or are any of them made to accept speaker wire?

5. David D. C.

the high levels are for speaker wire

6. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Before spending any money I would try this. Disconnect the speaker wires from your main speakers. Attach them to one pair of the speaker level inputs on the sub. Play something with bass. See what you get. Try the other pair of inputs if you get nothing from one set. If that works, make up a pair of speaker wires to reach from your sub to the receiver. At the sub end connect to the inputs that work. At the speaker end twist the one sub wire end to one speaker end and the same for the other pair. IF your receiver is robust, this may work fine. If your receiver is a lightweight, it might sound distorted.

If this doesn't work for you I think a Paradigm X-30 outboard crossover or maybe an X-20 would help but I haven't looked at their specs for a while.

Oh yes, what are your "reference amplifiers"?

7. David D. C.

so what you are saying is to hard wire the sub right leave the reciever (from the fronts left and rights) to the working pair of inputs then go from the inputs from the sub to the speakers????? is this what your trying to tell me???????

8. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Please first, what are your "reference amplifiers" you mention in another thread?

And no, what I am describing is wiring your mains and the sub to the main speaker outputs on your receiver. You would be driving your mains and the sub from the same speaker outputs on your receiver. Again, if your receiver is hearty enough you can get away with this since the sub requires little power.

9. David D. C.

sorry i dont think i spoke of reference amps lol anyway ok i see what you are saying let me ask you this my reciever has a sub out jack and with the sub only having high input posts and no out puts could it work like this

run my sub out from the reciever to the sub then connect my speakers to the high level inputs???? i think not but to heads are better than one

also why would a high dollar sub have no output posts do i need to take this into thought when buying my next reciever??????

10. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

David, in one of the many threads you have posted since you joined on 12/30/01, the last sentence in your post on the Pioneer Vsx-D850s you speak of your "reference amplifiers".

What's up with that?

11. David D. C.

i was talking of a reciever that i was long

at i am new so i am trying to learn how to contain sma info in all threads sorry