What's new

Infinity RS3000 "polycell" falling apart! (1 Viewer)

Don_Houle

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Don
Here's the problem: Today, I noticed that some of the "foam" (Infinity calls is "polycell", I think - that's what appears in the cabninet anyway) surrounding the large cone had completely torn away and fallen into the cabinet of my Infinity RS3000 speakers! I guess that the foam has become dry and brittle over the years.

When I touched the remaining foam, more just fell right off! The right speaker has about 1/4 of the foam missing. The left has about 1/3 missing (I haven't heard much distortion from the left channel, however).

These speakers are about 17 years old and until recently, they sounded pretty good.

Is there anything I can do to fix this or is this the beginning of the end for these speakers? I had hoped to be able to use them in a second room when I finally get around to replacing them. Will that be possible? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
You should be able to find aftermarket re-foam kits, or there are speaker repair shops in almost every big city that'll do it for ~$20 per driver.

Without the foam, the cone falls out of alignment and you risk damage to the voicecoil, and maybe the amp (?).

Good luck!

Nathan J

Stunt Coordinator
Find a local shop that does speaker repair. It shouldnt cost you any more than $20-$40 for a mid/woofer.

The surround is one of the most important parts of the driver. It controls the excursion, and keeps the cone aligned so that the voice coil and former perform how they are supposed to. With no surround the voice coil and former just wobble around, and can move inside the gap, and there is really no control over them other than the spider, but the spider does not do that much as far as keeping them aligned.

Don_Houle

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Don
That's why I love this forum! Not only do I get great answers, but members even provide links to get what I need!

You guys are the best! Thanks! I'm going to order my replacements today!

Thanks again!

Paul Bryan

Agent
I could be wrong, but I think "Polycell" refers to the tweeter.
You are correct. I have some old Infinity Sterling Series bookshelves with "PolyCell" Dome Tweeters...

The surrounds for the woofer are made of a cellular foam (maybe the same "PolyCell" as the tweeter?) and that is obviously the problem here...

Don_Houle

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Don
JohnnyG, I think you're right, too. I did some research looking for my particular model speaker (RS3000) - I wasn't able to find anything about my exact model (I guess it's too old!). But, I came across a lot of references to Polycel tweeters which seems to be an Infinity "invention".

In doing research for DIY speaker surround replacement kits, it seems that a lot of speaker manufacturers make their surrounds from some foam-like material that begins to break down after several years.

I'm probably going to order my replacement kit from www.speakerrepair.com. They look like the most professional outfit!

Does anyone have any experience with these Di-It-Yourself kits?

Don_Houle

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Don

Just wanted to let everyone know that I received my re-edging kit from www.speakerrepair.com on Monday. The directions were easy to follow and I finished the final steps last evening (after waiting the recommended amount of time for the glue to dry, etc). Everything looks great - better than brand new, in fact! I can't wait to get home tonight and try my new-old speakers out!

Thanks again to everyone for their assistance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks