What's new

Infinity Prius150's for $40.00 (1 Viewer)

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member

But it says "Priced as each" on the circuitcity.com website. Confused :confused: maybe each pair??

OK, I will walk to my local Circuit City store during lunch to confirm.

Theogenes

Agent
Real Name
Burnley
Well, I did it. Finally pulled the trigger on a pair of Onix X-LS speakers. Found some on AV123's website that were discounted $45 for minor cosmetic problems. As soon as I get these puppies in and set up, I'll let y'all know how they are. After reading the insane reviews (the saliva practically oozed out of my screen), my expectations are pretty high. I'm excited! I'll keep you posted...

Also, I wanted to say thanks to Mr. Garcia. The hope that I might not have to buy a subwoofer was a big determinant in my decision. Thanks a million!!

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Danny & JG

My bad, price is each. This certainly skews the value difference to the Insignias! Good thing I ordered 2!

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

You're welcome :) Personally, I couldn't do without a sub in a HT, but if you have to do without, you have to. My mains are -3dB @ 55Hz, same as the X-LSs and I can and do at times listen to music with my sub off. For typical action/horror movies, the sub is obviously a big benefit. My speakers in my bedroom are also -3dB @ 55Hz and I don't use a sub in there.

If you get around to it, Onyx also has the X-sub for just $199 and that might be sufficient to pass WAF and give you just enough low end support that you won't need a big sub for a while.

Theogenes

Agent
Real Name
Burnley
My speakers are finally in the process of shipping now (don't ask), so they should be here within the week. And of course, less than 2 days after absolute confirmation of my order, I did in fact get the speakers my granddad had for me. They are Philips FB565X BK01 models, which I haven't had a lot of success thus far finding information about. I sent an email to Philips this morning requesting info, but we'll see what they can find. According to my granddad (who was vice prez of Philips at one point and made his bones in the television manufacturing industry over many years, and so knows something about it) this is a really rockin' high-end set. I haven't had a chance to hook them up yet (I work about 11-13 hours a day), so I'm not sure how they sound yet. I was just wondering if anyone here knew anything about them. If it's helpful at all (and I know it probably isn't), the only real lead I've found on these so far was on a Philips support page in what appeared (to my wholly untrained eye) to be Norwegian or something. Also, as these are fairly large tower-style speakers, would I be better off to set them up as my left and right channel and use my X-LS set as surrounds? Or would this be doing some sort of injustice to the Onix? And am I going to have any problem with using speakers that aren't specifically timbre-matched? I've learned quite a bit on the video end of all this (though I still have plenty to go) but I know embarrasingly little about audio. Any input would be, as always, GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance!

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Those Philips speakers: how many and what size of woofers do they have? Does the cabinet have a port or is it completely sealed?

Theogenes

Agent
Real Name
Burnley

LanceJ: I have 2 of them, they are not ported, and they appear to have 2 8-inch subs in each and 2 smaller speakers (tweeters?) in each. I'm also wondering if there's any way to find out if they're shielded and whether they'd cause interference with my Toshiba DLP television. Hope this helps...

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Just set up a pair of the Primus 150's. Very nice for the price. Only listened for a short time so just preliminary findings. Will report more later on. Are they worth 2.5X price of the Insignias? Probably not.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
I really do think the Insignias are a very special deal Best Buy cooked up with their manufacturer (IIRC "Radient"), IMO a deal where they are being sold at-cost or possibly below that, simply to get people into the audio department to be exposed to the other, more well known brands.

This is a common marketing tactic, but not a good way to compare everyday speaker values.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks